The week I became a lesbian

ELLIE CLARKE gets intimate with Leeds' lesbian scene

It’s a golden rule that you have to mess around with your sexuality at university. A drunken kiss with a flat mate or spooning with one of the lads all counts but it has to be done.

So this week I decided to get over the prejudice and get under some girls.

I wanted to start talking to the LGBT society so they could help me out with great gay nights (the thought of going to the “Backdoor Disco” and “Homo at Mission” alone was making me feel very nervous.) Apparently though this was “A sensitive subject for our society be involved in press articles” I thought the society would want to bat for our team but considering they didn’t even know what The Tab was anyway I didn’t hold much hope.

Undeterred, I managed to find out that  Queen’s Court on Thursday night for “U Pop” is the gay equivalent of Fruity. I got dressed up and was bladdered by the time I was there, though I was told that this wasn’t a prerequisite…(Stupid Amber Cars). Jeni stepped up as my wingwoman for the night and I had the best time.

I had to fight the boys for the podium and Lady Gaga was played on the loop but in general everyone there just wanted to have a good time. Outside in the smoking area we were drunk enough to ask girls why so many live up to the stereotype of shaved heads, shirts and jeans – for many it’s because they don’t want to be approached by greasy guys or it’s a way of spotting other lesbians.

I seriously got into the role of it all, rubbing up against anyone who would have me – I quite fancied this girl actually and put on my moves asking for a kiss… until a much larger not so attractive grenade came up to me and told me they were engaged. Awkward.

The girl dressed in a full batman suit was getting my bedroom eyes but I ended up settling for this girl at the 2 o clock drop.

As a change of scene, rubbing up with transgenders and being out danced by the guys was so good, there were a lot of old preying men out though and as a student I could imagine that being quite uncomfortable.

Obviously I can’t imagine how difficult it is to be a lesbian but from what I’ve heard there aren’t enough nights outs in Leeds to meet other girls and the haircuts are a way of securing who they are.

Could I switch guys for girls? Yeah potentially, I woke up the next morning and I’d already got a couple of texts from some girls I was chirpsing and that never happens.

• George

Good article. Enjoyable read. Very funny in places.

(From someone who would apparently meet the LGBT criteria but cannot stand the idea of having coffee with such a whining set of militant letter writers.)

• Jaki

So gays are elitist snobs,, who'd have though it =// why do you have have your whole world shaken by fairly inoffensive probe from some naive fresher. I'm bisexual, in liverpool our lgbt scene is much friendlier (and pretty slutty tbh :p but it's always fun and light-hearted) I've seen every stereotype of bitchy gays in the comments that really put me off getting involved back home. You're enforcing far worse stereotypes of yourself just by being dicks, and my gay friends wince at the thought of you. We all know a proper drama queen, and they don't tend to be popular for very long. You guys need to get over yourselves

• jonathan

you're an idiot.

• http://societaladdress.blogspot.com Sabrina

This article is absolutely pointless. Quite literally, because no point is actually made. Just some girl who went to a gay club and wanted to write about her experience. Might as well have done that in her diary.

I can see why people find this offensive. Personally I just think it's dumb and testifies of a lack of writing skills, intellect, empathy and respect.

Oh, right. The statement that it's a golden rule people in uni experiment with their sexuality. I know many people who would disagree on that.

Oh right, I forgot to mention uneducated.

• Sure sure

This is a poorly written/thought out article, but the purpose/idea seems to be decent. I don’t take this as a ‘hit’ on the lgbt community so much as a very real representation of societies young females(and their lack of real life knowledge.) Young girls have been using lesbian experiences to get attention for years for various reasons, media uses gay/lesbian interaction for attention, and now some girl decided to write about it like its a normal thing-because it is. There is nothing new or strange about what this girl did, the only outrage should be that young girls think it is a required part of life as a female to be with other women sexually. I believe this is a real issue for young insecure girls/women, becoming confused because they can’t differentiate between what’s socially expected and socially acceptable, but nowhere are they being encouraged to just be themselves, supported and loved for who they are, whatever they look like. who your sexual partners or preferences include should not define who you are, because then you are limited to being a definition or stereotype, and everyone is much more than that. And remember, this article is written by someone who decided to get drunk and try out the lesbian scene and gather info under the influence from others under the influence….but at least it brought the opportunity to look deeper, I think if the writer had taken this approach it would have had potential to open up the issues regarding social pressures vs individuality amongst young females, but clearly she was too caught up in getting the attention I’ve described to even consider including a purposeful thought process. No one should feel pressure to conform to any sexuality, I’m glad she had fun, at least she won’t have regrets about her les experiences, just her article. 😉

• Sure sure

Oh ya, and I’m sorry to all the offended lgbt members that feel girls experimenting openly takes away from their legitamacy, thats life though. but if you take a second to think outside of the lgbt defensive line, this type of thinking and acting is a real thing, high numbers of ‘straight’ girls do go through this phase, it’s sad that this is an article available for them, but why hate a straight girl for trying out being a les? (I know the article is ignorant and contentless and a desperate attempt at attention) but lgbt’s should accept that girl on girl experiences arent just limited to “full fledged” lesbians, but straight girls are entitled to have phases without getting shoved off the fence back into the straight pen where they must ‘sit down n shut up about lesbian activity’ unless they are trying to come out. Isn’t that what the lgbt community is trying to rise up from? Being told what to do sexually?

This is not at everyone, just those hating on her for experimenting…. 🙂 <3

• Tom Thornton

JEEZ, I always think that people are too quick to find something 'offensive' especially if it involves them – CHILL OUT. it was an experimental article, exploring various components of todays society, just because it happened to be about the LGBT society doesnt mean that everyone should get hung up on it, dont you have bigger things in your life to be worried about? interesting to say the least.

• Anonymous

I agree, this article is pretty immature and pointless.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Editor, The Tab Leeds

Meet the first year food blogger with over 200,000 Instagram followers

You’ll wish she was your housemate

Dropping out of Leeds was the best thing I ever did

Your mental health is more important than a degree

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way