No strings attached

,        

Hundreds of Leeds students have joined a casual sex site

More than 800 Leeds students have signed up for a casual sex website where members arrange one-off romps.

Shag at Uni advertises itself as a “space for students to get laid any night of the week and not have any of the strings attached with dating.”

Casual..the site promises no strings attached sex

The adult portal’s owner Tom Thurlow told The Tab there were 854 Leeds University students registered, with almost half of them female.

He said: “The typical user is a student who is very horny and wants to increase the amount of sex they are already getting.

“Some are people who are not having as much sex, and are quite shy for example. Everyone is looking for a shag so it’s a win-win.”

Membership, which is £5 for men and free for women, buys users the chance to message each other and make casual arrangements.

The bulk of members are students who have not posted profile photos, although there is a sprinkling of suspiciously old and nude profiles, suggesting Shag at Uni has a richer demographic than expected.

Thurlow, who set it up when visitors to sister site Date at Uni  were banned for being explicit,  insisted most profiles on the site were real students.

Shag at Uni spawned from the less casual Date at Uni

He said: “You get sceptics who ask if you have made robot accounts and fake women but that doesn’t happen – it’s against the law. Everyone on the site is a real person.

“I hope people will recognize this is about real people – I’m 22 and I am the person running it.”

@TheTab
  • Kerem45

Hayatı dolu yasamamis

• taimoor

This is a total scam. I paid the 19.99 subscriptions but I always get an auto reply back to any messages. It looks like both sender and receiver would have to be a full member before they can receive or send messages. Total scam. This means if 90% of the member aren't paying, the paid members can't do much.

• Andy

I'm a Paid member trying to cancel the membership and it has been impossible so far! 10 mins on average to their "Hotline" and 10x calls later and I'm still a full paying member for a website that is full of auto-replies and fake messages from fake users probably setup by the provider. 50% of the messages from actual members are automated by the website and the member has no knowledge of the messages. Total scammmmmmm! Avoid, and shame on you Tab for reporting this scam……

• Jack

I can second the above comment. It seemed really enticing at first when you read profiles, however, I received nothing but automated replies. I'm skeptical about who is real and who isn't. I'm not a bad looking guy and I received 1 reply in about 50, then when I tried to send one back it said her profile no longer existed. Coincidence or something a bit fishy? I'll let you decide.

Another thing is there stupid premium rate number in order to cancel your subscription, which they misleading say is free to call on their website. The fact that they are treating cancellations as a revenue source rings alarm bells. Also the people on the phone are probably the same that British Gas employs to rob old grannies.

No doubt that I expect complaints to grow about this website in due course, and hopefully the truth will out.

• David

“I’m a Paid member trying to cancel the membership and it has been impossible so far! 10 mins on average to their “Hotline” and 10x calls later and I’m still a full paying member for a website that is full of auto-replies and fake messages from fake users probably setup by the provider.”

Yes, despite being angrily accused of lying when they finally decided to answer the phone and allow me to cancel my subscription – insisting, as I mentioned in the above post that they’d been sitting there the whole time I was ringing and there were definitely no attempted calls – my mobile phone unbilled usage clearly shows an amount of £11.28 taken over a period of 42 minutes and 7 calls by this sinister organisation.

• Singlewarehouse

That’s quite funny – but there are better sites for it – try http://www.leedssex.co.uk – it’s local – so you won’t get all the other nutters.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cardiff Editor of The Tab

Facebook was right to remove an advert featuring plus-sized model Tess Holliday

Images of significantly overweight women are as damaging as size zero women

,        

What’s the ugliest accent in the UK?

There are so many unpleasant dialects to choose from

,        

57 per cent of graduates would vote to remain in the EU, says new poll

And 14 per cent support leaving

What not to say to someone with depression

No, they can’t just ‘snap out of it’