An update on life in Lancaster following the floods

Lootings are definitely a problem

Let’s do the time warp again.

2015-12-08 11:15 – Power still not recovered on campus. Uni told that Lancaster is the priority, so powering Barker House and LICA building is unfeasible. Everyone to be evacuated to George Fox.

12:01 – Rumours that town will lose power at 16:00.

12:22 – Met Office warns of more severe flood warnings in the North-West over the next two days. Fuck.

“A lot of effort for a sat nav”

13:28 – General consensus is that looters are terrible. Student Mollie Freeman, 19, whose car was broken into, said she “couldn’t care less about what they took, it’s the principle.”

13:33 – Electricity North West are putting on food vans across the North West – absolute boys.

Electricity North West – if I had to get my electricity from anyone in the North West it would probably be them

13:35 – Electricity North West announce that claims of the power in town going off at 16:00 are baseless. They’re trying to keep power on when they get it on. Surely that’s what they’ve been doing the whole time?

13:40 – If I hear one more comment about going “to the Winchester and waiting for this all to blow over”…

13:45 – Ernest Jones has been a big target for looting, which makes sense I guess.

13:50 – Additional sandbags being sent around. Those with power urged to conserve and avoid using things like hobs and electric showers.

14:16 – There are films being shown in George Fox LT1 and free tea and coffee. The people putting the these sort of things are heroes.

14:45 – Electricity North West warning about the potential need for controlled powercuts in the next few hours.

14:52 – Power’s back on half of campus, porters say rest will be back soon.

15:40 – Riot van outside Booths’. Promising.

15:51 – Got back to campus. Raining quite a bit. Even more promising.

We might be running on emergency generator power, but thank God the Christmas decorations are lit up

16:13 – Lancaster professor Gail Whiteman’s kicking off about climate change from over at the COP 21.

16:20 – Power’s back up across more of campus, including most importantly my flat in Pendle ghetto. Rain’s died off. Legitimately promising this time, not sarcastically promising.

17:25 – Despite power being back, uni are still planning on shoving everyone in George Fox tonight as it might be patchy. Also, gotta get NW campus ready for the graduation ceremony tomorrow.

17:30 – We’ve just now realised we have no idea what’s happening at UCum. It was pitch black when we walked past last night, but I’m sure they’re fine in this flooding – they all have 2 Ds and a swimming badge after all.

17:34 – UCLan have offered their library up to all Lancaster and UCum students who need it – not sure what people would be studying for but it’s a sweet gesture nonetheless.

17:45 – Another night, another meal at Refuel. We ♥ u catering team.

LUSU trustee Victoire Melchiori expresses her feelings towards the week (vic does not necessarily endorse any of the views contained in this article)

17:52 – As well as not being around when needed, LUSU were apparently giving out day-old information yesterday and generally being more of a pain in the ‘nads than usual.

17:58 – Academic Council are convening on Friday to sort out deadlines and everything once and for all. Until then just assume you don’t have any work to do I guess.

18:02 – Fuck yes Hustle candlelit blackout party tonight I am disgustingly down for that.

It’s effectively exactly the same as living through the Blitz

19:28 – Prinks start for Hustle. Everyone is trying their best to drown their sorrows in booze, but some are more skilled at it than others.

At least the floors’ll finally get cleaned

20:01 – Sultans’ issue a lengthy statement explaining the previous days events:

I think I’m getting served again!

21:00 – Electricity North West announce an end to controlled powercuts and offer a “HUGE well done to all in and around #Lancaster for reducing power”.

21:57 – Pendle College alum James May (you might’ve heard of him) weighs in on Twitter.

It’s James Maynia all over again

20:00 – Candlelit Hustle blackout party starts.

22:10 – Power restored to Lancaster University.

23:55 – Hustle’s starting to get packed. Everything after this is pretty hazy.

Goddamn it Hustle this kind of shit is why you win best night out awards

2015-12-09 12:00 – Everything seems pretty peachy right now. A few spots on campus will go without power for about and hour and a half later tonight and apparently Lonnie’s still dark, but who cares about Lonnie.

Bowland tower damage not as extensive as previously thought, and it should be fixed by Friday.