How to procrastinate based on your subject

Yep, you’re literally procrastinating by reading about procrastinating

No matter whether you’re studying Law or Sociology, if you’re reading this it’s most likely because the bad side of your brain is trying to edge you further and further away from that text book and closer towards the instant-gratification of procrastination. Here’s a guide to how you really should be wasting your time.

Architecture

If you should be studying architecture, you may well be practising your skills building a house on Sims 3 instead of finishing that coursework.Or you could be in the library rearranging your pens into a nice like tent shape, convincing yourself that this can definitely help you with the essay you’re writing.

Psychology

If you’re not already watching TED talks on YouTube about the psychology of wet-dream and trying to convince yourself that it counts as revision, you might be practising some of your psycho-analytical skills on your friends who are actually trying to revise. You’ll quit making notes to ask them about their childhood and what their relationship with their mother was like, then tell them that they have an Oedipus complex after they tell you to shut up. Or better yet, you’ll spend an hour drawing up a mind map that is supposed to be helping you but is actually just wasting a whole lot of time.

so useful…

Film Studies

Most students would admit to watching a film instead of working, but for a film student, that IS their work. So how do you procrastinate watching a film? Sleep through it of course!

can’t wait to sleep through this lot…

Computer science

Even if they don’t intend to procrastinate, computer science students will inevitably be interrupted by friends asking if they can fix their WiFi router or show them how to use Excel. After a while, the buzz of being the hero who fixes people’s computers will start to wear off and they’ll actually be looking forward to doing some of their own work.

Medicine

Everyone knows medics are exceptionally good drinkers, meaning that instead of crying over how much work they have to do, they may well be trying to squeeze in another night out, when they really should be studying. Knowing medics, they’ll probably still do twice as much work as the average student whilst being able to go out just as much. Who needs sleep anyway?

there goes the last of your brain cells….

Philosophy

A philosophy student, when not busy learning to spell German names, will most likely take a break from studying to look off vacantly out the window, sighing and telling anyone who asks what’s wrong that they “wouldn’t understand”.

Contemplating the bigger issues through snapchat stories

Law

If a law student isn’t already interrupting their friends’ conversations to correct them with some legal jargon, they’ll probably be crying into their 600 page books over the amount of work they have to do, whilst simultaneously having an existential crisis and questioning why they chose to do law. Or equally, they could be writing a strongly-worded letter to an exam board over grade boundaries, thinking that their one year studying law qualifies them to be able to sue an international exam cooperation.

Dentistry

If you’re a dentistry student, you’ll probably be one of those people who procrastinate by cleaning their entire room and someone else’s. What better way to practise dental hygiene than creating an immaculate desk space for your notes, or being the first person in your flat for three weeks to take out the bins…

someone’s got to do it

Most procrastination may start off innocently enough, but one Wikipedia page soon leads to another and before you know it you’ve spent two hours in the library reading listicles instead of finishing your essay. So no matter what subject you do, or how much work you have to do, procrastination will get you in some way or another. Don’t sweat it.