Female academics earn £10, 000 less than male counterparts at KCL

KCL are investigating why

Female KCL academics earn a measly £46,030 pounds compared to the generous £56,301 earned by their male counterparts – that’s 18.24% less.

What’s more shocking is that KCL was revealed as the second university with the widest salary gap, right after City University London.

A spokeswoman for King’s has responded to the Times Higher Education analysis on official pay data, and said that they were “working hard to understand the reasons for our gender pay gap”.

“We know that women are less likely to be mobile, less likely to apply for promotion and less likely to take on senior administrative roles,” a King’s spokeswoman said.

King’s also added that it is “essential that there is equality of representation at all levels of university life”.

Rithika Koshy, a first year medic student said: “I knew there was a disparity but I didn’t realise it would be so wide at King’s.”

Yamir Ash, a History and war studies student said: “I’m not surprised – I don’t think it’s a reflection of an unfair salaries, but rather a reflection of male academics simply holding more senior positions – this could due to a variety of factors but I hope this isn’t straightforwardly as another example of an all oppressing patriarchy.”

On the bright side, there are currently 14 institutions where female academics are paid more than men on average, so I guess there’s hope for us out there.