Where you should live in London according to your vibe

Just please not Clapham

As we enter the last few weeks of teaching for 2014/15, thoughts invariably turn to next year and the most pressing problem facing us all is housing. By now you might have an idea about who your going to be sharing with but you haven’t even entered the minefield that is location. Well that’s where we come in. Every London neighbourhood has its own unique style. Here are our suggestions for where you ought to be looking based on your fashion choices.

Wannabe hipsters

If you’re using the word hipster you’re not a hipster

Shoreditch: If the length of your beard hair is determined by an article in Vice and you find most of your wardrobe staples (including epilepsy-inducing shell suit jackets) in up-cycling vintage shops on Brick Lane, Shoreditch will be your ideal home. A hipster’s paradise 10 years ago, its coolness and charm has reached saturation point with groups of twenty-somethings dressed as impractically as possible and eating de-constructed, pulled pork burgers and vegan cappuccinos. All of them hanging around with the hope of being photographed for someone’s “indie” fashion blog. You’ll pay through the nose for a flat with “exposed brickwork” or “distressed wallpaper” that will just be damp. But on the upside, you can tell everyone that cares how edgy you are for living there.

Authentic hipsters

Peckham: None of this topknot nonsense. True hipsters don’t do things half-heartedly – you grow and nurture a complete man bun. And girls, you don’t own ironically colourful dungarees, you wear the retro denim variety. Or failing that, a “unitard”. If your idea of fashion heaven is trawling real thrift shops and Charity shops across the Capital, Peckham is the place to be. It’s still on the upward curve of up-and-coming, with independent cafés and juice bars galore, not to mention the legendary Bussey Building and your money will go further than most other London locations. Transport is non-existent but you’re so hipster, you probably own a scooter.

Practical people

Elephant and Castle: Cardigans. Lots of cardigans. If you’re the sort of person who owns a rain mac and actually wears it when it’s raining, look no further than Elephant and Castle. One of the more aesthetically-challenged areas of London, essentially composed of a gigantic roundabout and lots of concrete, students who choose to live here do so for its practical location (they’ll constantly tell you it’s only a 20 minute walk to Strand) and care little for style. You might save money on transport but rest assured, you’ll be buying clothes for comfort alone by the time your 25.

Preppy

West Kensington/Hammersmith: If your collection of chinos can be arranged in order of the colours of the rainbow or your shoe collection is in need of a walk-in wardrobe, perhaps you ought to look west. If you buy your basic clothing from Zara rather than Primark and if Pret for lunch is not a luxury, life in West Ken and Hammersmith will suit you perfectly. Whilst both remain popular student areas, their west postcodes and bordering affluent neighbourhoods mean they appeal to the sort of people looking for a more luxurious student experience. You won’t be able to escape the “rahs” and the “hooray Henrys” but let’s be honest, if you’re living here, you’re probably one of them.

Sporty/Public School

Clapham: If a rugby jersey is your casual attire and you own lacrosse training gear, head south on the Northern Line. Clapham’s leafy commons and buzzing gastro pubs are perfect for those with a penchant for physical activities, or at least talking about how much they love sport. On weekends you won’t be able to move for runners and yoga-goers in sportswear that’s miraculously squeaky clean. Whilst you’ll end up living in pretty town houses, you’ll also have to put up with neighbours who met on the First XV rugby team at school and are on a constant quest to relive their glory days.

Happy house-hunting.