Strand campus style

Feast your eyes

It’s freezing. The days are short and gloomy. January is dragging on. And yet King’s Students are not discouraged as they put their best foot forward in the Winter fashion stakes.

We got down to Strand Campus to find out what’s important to you when buying clothes and what trends are taking King’s by storm.

Zoe Cansdale, English Literature, first year

“I look for comfort but also something a bit stylish. I try and keep on top of the trends. I’d say my style was as close to pyjamas as possible whilst trying to look good.”

Twyla Doone, War Studies and History, first year

“Affordability and especially in winter, warmth are the most important things I look for in clothes. These jeans are my staple, I wear them all the time because I can dress them up with anything. The scarf is important because I wear a lot of black so it adds a bit of colour.”

Sascha Morgan-Evans, Comparative Literature, first year and Alia Nusseibeh, English Literature, first year

Alia: “I look for stuff that’s a bit different but I like to combine it with simpler things. I have standout pieces but I mix it with basic items. I’d describe my style as boho hobo chic.”

Sascha: “I take my inspiration from nineties sitcoms like ‘Seinfeld’. I like the ‘normcore’ vibe.”

Rob Lindsay, War Studies, first year

“A lot of my friends are little bit immature and we decided to wear formal suits to our lectures every Tuesday. The blazer was originally my Dad’s. I like tweed so it worked out. In general I’m quite casual, I’m not the biggest fashion person in the world.”

Michael Hocking, English Literature, first year

“More than anything, I look for the price when buying clothes.I got a fair bit in the January sales. I like patterned shirts and skinny jeans. I’m not too adventurous when it comes to fashion.”

Naomi Downham, English Literature, third year and Akshay Shah, History, third year

Naomi: “I love to mix one or two high-end or designer pieces with high street items from places like Topshop. I’m obsessed with classic styles, sharp tailoring and clean lines. I love shopping at Whistles, because I’m a middle-aged woman at heart.”

Akshay: “I love the autumn/winter season purely because my outerwear game is strong.”

From suits to ‘normcore’ to clean lines and of course to strong outerwear game. King’s could never be described as dull on the fashion front.