Every boy should own these items of clothing

Trust us, you need this

So it’s come to this. A men’s fashion article in the Tab. Well, I say “fashion”, if you want a round-up of who wore what at the last round of Fashion Week, or what Hedi Slimane pulled out of the bag this year, then this article is not for you.

This article is for lads who want to look good, but aren’t really sure where to start. It’s for those of us who might otherwise take controversial advice from GQ and end up looking kitted head to toe in Topman. So let’s kick things off:

1. Plain white t-shirt

So simple you can’t get this wrong.

Yes, I know, it’s blindingly obvious, but sometimes the obvious needs stating. Done properly, these things are a sartorial life-saver. Rolled out of the shower, running late for lectures? Plain White Tee. Going out in Hoxton but all your edgy tops you overpaid for on Wavy Garms are in the wash? Plain White Tee. Need to look respectable on Skype for your parents but you’re fighting a losing battle with your imminent hangover? Wash your face and put on a Plain White Tee.

Splurge:  Valentino do one for around £360, but if you’re seriously considering paying that much for a t-shirt then you should stop reading right now.

Steal: You can get actual normal T-Shirts for a tenner at American Apparel or H&M.

Stop: Whatever you do, don’t get one with a “witty” slogan on the front. They’re never as witty as you think they are.

2. Black jeans

They will go with ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING

You know that saying, “’x’ is the new black”? Well, there’s a reason that’s a thing. Black goes with literally anything. You know what else goes with literally everything? Jeans. Put both together, and what do you get? Black Jeans. They. Go. With. Everything. From that 20-year old shell suit jacket you bought from a stranger on eBay, to a shirt and a smart blazer, black jeans will always be there for you. If they could sing, they’d sing the theme from Friends. That’s how much they’d be there for you.

Splurge: Sure, you could go to Redchurch Street and spend £135 on a pair from APC…

Save: but Gap have some great ones for about £45 and they’re just as good. Honourable mentions must also go to Uniqlo, ASOS (student discount…), and River Island. Shop around, work out what fits you, and go with that. I like ones with a bit of fading to them, but if that’s not your bag, then get some that aren’t.

3. Light blue Oxford shirt

Okay, so mine isn’t blue. But it’s comfy and can be casual or dressed up.

This one is less obvious than the previous two. It’s also probably more versatile; not only can it be worn open over a T-shirt with jeans; it’s also a great back-pocket option for job interviews or your Nan’s birthday lunch. The button-down collar option is the most classic, but you can get different collar shapes if you look hard enough. The “Oxford” part refers to the way the cloth is woven; it’s a relatively thick material, but also quite breathable due to the pattern of warp and weft.

Splurge: Ralph Lauren will charge you £85 for the privilege of owning one, but do you really to pay that much for a picture of some guy on a horse waving an oversized hammer about on your chest?

Save: No, the best bet here is Uniqlo, who have a classic, unbranded option for £25.

4. White sneakers

Maybe clean them

Canvas or leather; Converse or Vans: I’m not that fussed, just get a pair. They’re just easy. There are two schools of thought on the issue of caring for them; leave ’em be, or treat them like the Crown Jewels and keep them gleaming white. I’m definitely in the former camp, because if you are in a situation where you’re worrying that your trainers aren’t clean enough, you really oughtn’t to be wearing trainers in the first place. Keep them looking presentable, obviously, but half the fun is showing that they’ve been lived in.

Steal: Primark is your go-to for this one. Easy. Even easier to come to terms with them getting dirty.

Save: H&M, Topman…any high street store has your back for a cheap and cheerful pair.

5. Grey sweat top/jumper

This baby gets me through everyday

I may be a little biased here: my favourite piece of clothing I have ever owned was a grey lambswool jumper my mum bought me from F+F at Tesco. It’s the simple things sometimes. It probably cost about £15, but it was the softest, most awesome thing ever and I wore it nearly everywhere. A mid-grey one will sit well with nearly anything, as well as looking fairly smart over the top of a shirt as a smart-casual winter option (think Christmas lunch at your slightly snooty aunt’s house).

Spend: For this staple item, it’s worth parting from your pennies a bit more. Invest and it will be worth your while, so head over to Zara Man or Urban Outfitters, for a more quirky and fresh fix.

Splurge: If you’re feeling fancy, Mr. Hilfiger does some very nice sweaters. If any of you lads feel like guiltily spending your student loan…

6. A practical coat

Sometimes fashion has to be practical

Sounds easy, right? An on-trend option is a Varsity Jacket, sometimes called a Baseball Jacket, which has been done very well recently by the likes of Balmain and Valentino (the prices are so extravagant that I’m not going to even bother wasting your time with them).

Spend: ASOS have lots of these popular American high school-esque jackets (come on, Google it, I’m not doing all the work here), as do the regulars such as Topman, River Island etc.

Save: If you’re the kind of person that likes Oasis and the Smiths enough to copy what they wear, you could try a Parka- the original army surplus ones are quite expensive these days, but there’s always the markets around Brick Lane and Camden to have a rummage through.

That’s it from me; yes, it’s fairly basic and obvious, but that’s not what this article is about. If you want to look like the next David Gandy, or to dress like Will.I.Am, then maybe ignore everything I just said. This isn’t for you. These are just some essentials that every guy needs in his wardrobe and a bit of advice on where to find them.