The truth behind the John Foster building’s very own ‘Toast Lady’

Bet Uni of don’t have this luxury

john foster building john moores ljmu toast toast lady

On those grim, early mornings, when you are just too hungover to make it to your lecture in time, the North West’s most talented toast maker, Georgina, is the guardian angel behind the service bar. 

Without having to move your lips, she knows what you really need at this moment, and she’s already preparing your order of redemption to the sober world.

Georgina told The Tab: “Toast is the most popular order.”

And no wonder. The highly skilled bread and butter perfectionist certainly knows the art like the back of her hand. Don’t get too jealous, Uni of.

After nine years of service, she has made fond memories and is loved not only for her skills, but for her calming and motherly character.

She said: “I have made lots of friends over the years, both students and staff. It’s a rare occasion I go into town and don’t bump into someone from uni past or present.

“I remember a lad asking me for some toast to which I replied, white or brown? His response was ‘somewhere in the middle please’. It still makes me chuckle.”

Last year, Georgina faced a devastating blow when a situation elsewhere in the building set the fire alarm off, resulting in the attack of her service. The health and safety department deemed her facilities a breach of their standards.

“I’m going to be very diplomatic here. Health and safety is very necessary, but things did take some time to sort out.”

This was to the dismay of everyone who uses the building.

Joshua Quigley, a third year, told The Tab: ‘”She’s revolutionised the way I make toast.”

Fortunately, because of Georgina’s popularity, her facilities were re-instated earlier this year, with the help of a petition started by students and staff.

“The response from staff, and especially students, was overwhelming to say the least. I honestly think I would have walked if it had not been for the tremendous support from everyone.

“I read parts of the petition and have to say the comments had me in bits. It certainly made me feel what I was doing was appreciated.

“Yes I am very happy to have all my facilities back, my kids can now eat.”

But, the question we all want to know is, HOW does she make toast so well?

“What happens behind the snack bar stays behind the snack bar. I think toast always tastes better when someone else makes it for you.”