Editorial – F**k Hugh Grant

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

Editor M. Literous makes a calm, collected, unbiased and (hopefully) non-libelous look at the imminent press regulation "laws"

I get to decide what goes onto the Tab. I use great responsibility when wielding this great power and I am not some dictator banning everything and anything I disagree with. If it’s not illegal to write then I’ll consider it, if I think someone will want to read it then I’ll publish it. If it’s a comment, then anything not spam or potentially putting me in a court on libel charges will be published; it comes with the territory of loving free speech and participating in a free press.

Mr Wallace kindly explains the key component required for a press to best serve the public interest

This oddly may mean I’m about to break the law.

There are 3 tests to see if a news source must sign up to the new press regulations; it must report on current affairs (we do), it must have multiple contributing authors (we have a fair few) and it must be subject to editorial control (oh shit, that’s me). So for us, yes, yes and yes.

We could well be forced to sign up to a press regulatory body who the coalition has assured us isn’t underpinned by law. It’s just underpinned by a royal charter and there will be new laws to underpin royal charters with law (to be honest, I think this may be a trick. Not even a particularly clever one either).

If you are going to make yourself a figurehead for your ill-sought campain against free press, I’m damn well making you the target of my ill feeling

My biggest concern with all this faff is not even that small outlets like ourselves could be caught in the crossfire, it’s not that it’s putting a vicious boot into a public-serving industry going through its darkest financial days, nor is it even that it made me take the side of Cameron in an argument (although that did hurt). My biggest issue is that we are striking a damning blow to free speech and free press for literally no benefit whatsoever.

If Hugh Grant feels aggrieved at his phone being hacked then I don’t blame him. If he wants laws that prevent this sort of thing happening again, then I heartily agree with the sentiment. However, someone should probably point out these laws already exist. As do laws for lewd conduct in a public place with $1,180 prostitutes.

If you see this Mr Grant, please Google “fair comment” before ringing your lawyers

Sorry Hugh, that was a low blow but I thought I’d take one final moment to enjoy free speech before you play a leading role in taking our free press and roughly taking it from behind. Just like Ms. Divine Brown.

Facebook Twitter
  • Anonymous

This article made me happy… I love free speech!
    *strokes Mike Literous*

• Michael Thorpe

What about in the case of Richard Littlejohn, who drove a woman to suicide over an article he wrote for the Mail?

• Anonymous

Well clearly that was a tragedy that nobody could have foreseen, but FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH FREESPEECHFREESPEECHFREECHFREECH

• Chinasa Benjamin

I only care the PG officer…..

• Speedy Poo

Women need to speed the fuck up when visiting the lavatory.

Everywhere I go, there’s a 20km queue for the ladies room but none for the gents.

What is the cause of such inefficient toilet usage by women only?

• Ironic Feminist

Using male-only toilets is a great way to destroy the patriarchy.

• gh

I see this in Ocean all the time. They think that they are being hilarious and edgy, but jokes on them, they’re generally just walking into a pool of piss on the floor.

• Tom

So I guess you guys at ‘the tab’ don’t like gender neutral toilets.

• yra

Actually men have much smaller bladders than women

• Matt

I drove in with friends every day for two years, get them to pay £1 each (cheaper than the bus) to cover parking and it works out fine.

• Gabby

Maybe, however recently the pay and display car parks have also been full

• Jonny Mango

I don’t know who Ben Barnett is but he looks like a cunt

• Jeffery “Geoff” Jefferson Jr

Chocolate fireguard sounds quite reliable to me, as long as you’re relying on it to melt.

• Al Bell

Lol! What a brilliantly ironic piece – I love the way that you made bold, outlandish statements to grab readers’ attention in the certain knowledge that you’ll generate some minor controversy and increase social media shares.

And with such panache! I honestly thought that this was the work of Kate Hopkins or another similar professional expert, and not just a student who thinks he’s funnier than he is! TEN OUT OF TEN!!!!!

• Eric

Whoever wrote this is a bad, bad Tory

• Zubair Ibn Adam

On a serious note to the producers of the tab….is this the best you can do? Do you realise that you are hiring crap journalists ??

• jjjj

It’s fucking hilarious! and very accurate. You’re all boring cunty virgin cretins

• G

well it made me laugh!!!! haha

By ,         on

Who are you voting for? Take our General Election Survey

It’s make your mind up time

By , Deputy Editor on

An Imperial professor is giving students LSD and watching what happens

It could be a ‘superhighway to the unconscious’

Sponsored by on

Square mile start-ups reject macho slave culture to attract best graduates

Want to work in the city and still have a life?

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’