Amazing ‘Lines of Thought’ exhibit at Hull Uni is a must-see

It’s probably the best exhibit in the UK outside of London

The ‘Lines of Thought’ art exhibit on loan from the British Museum is now available to see, for free, at the Brynmor Jones Library until the end of February.

A tour around the exhibit by John Bernasconi, Director of the University of Hull Art Collection and Renaissance specialist, highlights the pieces on display, describing the art as “an extraordinary collection and the biggest exhibition of the year”.

To allow people to view the art without restrictions there are no ropes sectioning off the displays. This way students and the public can see the fine detail that has gone into every piece.

The ‘Lines of Thought’ collection is attracting more people per day than the normal university collection attracts in a week. This is before the majority of the student body arrives for the new semester – an amazing start to Hull’s year as City of Culture 2017.

The public enjoy the rare artwork on display

Art work ranges from Egyptian depictions, titled ‘The Book of The Dead’, to David Hockney. John Bernasconi described the collection as artists from very different periods doing the same thing; working out their ideas. Thus there are no finished pieces of work on display. Instead the collection shows sketches and how the artists first draft their work as a visual point of interest for the exhibit.

Hugo Chapman, Keeper of Prints and Drawings at the British Museum, said that the art is the best collection that the British Museum have sent out.

There some amazing pieces on display, including Leonardo Da Vinci’s ‘Christ Child with a Cat’ – Da Vinci did not produce a final piece from this original idea. Other works also include Victor Hugo’s ‘Landscape with a Castle’ and Bernasconi’s favourite piece, ‘The Holy Family in Munich and Paris’ by Andrea Del Sarto.

Clipboards and pencils are given to individuals upon entering the exhibit to draw their own pieces, inspired by what is on display. There will be a prize at the end of the exhibit for the best piece.

Isabel Seligman, Curator, standing next to Rembrandt’s famous Asian Elephant piece.

In early March there will be another collection from the winners of the annual National Portrait Gallery competition.

Hull University students are encouraged to view the collection before it leaves at the end of February. The exhibit’s next destinations are the National Museum of Ulster in Belfast, Northern Ireland and the United States. Due to light exposure these drawings deteriorate faster than finished paintings. The pieces will be put away after the exhibits for 10 years in order to preserve the quality of art.

Mr Bernasconi said: “It would be great to keep the revenue as part of the University’s legacy and keep up this level of exhibition programs”.

To learn more about the work on display, there is a series of public lectures throughout the next two months, the first on Tuesday 17 January by Hugo Chapman. 

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Hull The Tab Hull News