SU anti-racism event bans white people from attending

The event says ‘if you are white, please don’t come’

It was supposed to be a gathering to celebrate racial unity and protest against inequality.

So imagine the horror when organisers of an anti-racism event BANNED men and white people from attending.

Days before the event at Goldsmith’s SU, Welfare and Diversity officer Bahar Mustafa told students: “If you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME.”

GBME1

Bahar also made clear that this is a “BME women and non-binary event only” and that others were not welcome.

She added:: “Don’t worry lads we will give you and allies things to do.”

The event claims to be “challenging the white-centric culture of occupations”, “diversifying our curriculum” and building a “cross-campus campaign that puts liberation at the heart of the movement”.

B1

The meeting will take place today in the SU, in a downstairs room named after the highly controversial former American Communist Party leader and soviet-union fan Angela Davis, who met personally with German secret-police state dictator Erich Honecker in the 1970s.

This comes after a previous “BME-only” event, which also involved student politico Bahar Mustafa sparked national media fury. Then, The Spectator had argued that the “orthodoxy of safe spaces has now led to racial segregation” on campus. Earlier this year, two white journalists were turned away from an “anti-racism” event at a Canadian university, sparking passionate international debate.

A senior Student Union society president, speaking on condition of anonymity, slammed the event and the Track record of Bahar Mustafa.

Speaking anonymously, they said: “For Bahar to have the nerve to write this is patronising beyond belief.

“She (if that is her preferred gender pronoun) has made it very difficult for white cis males on campus who feel like they can’t say anything for fear of retribution. the irony that she (or they) think that they are diversifying the student community in the name of feminism and multiculturalism is laughable.”

000000fg

Bahar Mustafa at Deptford Town Hall

It is important to note that there is a huge difference between holding exclusionary “BME-only” events and the long-standing culture of open to all events which cater specifically towards BME and female students,  which have been vital to ensuring diversity, anti-racism and tolerance on campuses for decades.

Institutional racism remains a massive and deeply disturbing problem on UK campuses. Over 50% of black and minority ethnic higher education staff have experienced discrimination on campus.

report earlier this year found 92 per cent of professors are white, while just 0.49 per cent are black. Only 15 black academics are in senior management roles.

Tab Video:

The Tab Goldsmiths The Tab Goldsmiths News