There’s a protest against the inauguration of Trump in Glasgow tomorrow

It’s called Stand up to Trump, Stand up to Racism

Hide Images

Tomorrow, people across Britain will take to the streets to protest the inauguration of President-Elect Donald Trump.

Planned by Stand up to Racism Scotland, the protest will see 20 cities partake including Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and London.

Glasgow’s protest, Stand up to Trump – Stand Up to Racism, will commence at 5:30pm at Donald Dewar Statue, Buchanan Steps, Glasgow, G1 2NG.

President-Elect Donald Trump

Stand up to Racism is a national organisation dedicated to opposing the rise of racism. They believe that the election of Donald Trump is “deeply disturbing”.

Weyman Bennett from Stand Up To Racism Scotland said: “Trump’s campaign for President was marked by constant scapegoating of migrants, with a key slogan ‘build a wall’ to keep out Mexican workers and attacks on America’s Muslim community. We cannot allow these ideas to become acceptable.”

Organisers believe that in Britain racism – such as Islamophobia, scapegoating of refugees and migrants, as well as the disregard for black lives and the belief in white supremacy – has increased significantly.

Diane Abbott, Shadow Home Secretary and President of Stand up to Racism said: “There is a link between inflammatory statements by politicians and racist attacks and hate crimes on the street. There has been a rise in such crimes in Britain, following the EU referendum and a similar pattern has emerged in the US. Now is the time for people of goodwill to unite and stand up to racism.”

The protest will coincide with the Presidential Inauguration in Washington and is supported by leading trade unions: Unite, Unison and NUT, as well as over 50 MPs, Peers and Jewish and Muslim leaders.

Although the outcome for the protest is uncertain, campaigners hope that by uniting together we will build support for an internationalist answer to the ‘divisive politics of despair’.

Updates will be posted on the Facebook page: Stand up to Racism Scotland.

Twitter: @SUTRScotland