Why you should all want to work in retail

We’re the best dressed on campus

We may just seem like the people who are just there to serve you and get moaned at when your size isn’t in stock, but us fashion retail workers have it the best out of all the part-time jobs. We don’t need to work stupid hours like bar staff and our job is so easy that we could do it with our eyes closed.

Free clothes and huge discounts

Need I say anymore? They tell us the clothes to only wear in work as uniform but c’mon, who really does that?! Free jeans, skirts, dresses just for coming into work, easy days! The discounts are great too – most places such as River Island offer 40% staff discount.

You’re always ahead of the trend

When the latest lines hit the high-street you’re always first in line to get this seasons must have. Buchanan Street is your catwalk and you work it on a daily basis. You’re the fashion guru out of your group and all your friends turn to you for advice/to steal half of your wardrobe.

Flexible hours

Have a big exam tomorrow? Fear not, most of the people in your store are in the same situation and everyone helps each other out. Most shifts are short, 3-5 hours max, so it’s easy to fit work in around your uni timetable.

You can come in hungover

A Sunday morning in retail is brutal, you’ve been out the night before and the only place you want to be is in your bed. Luckily you’re not alone as everyone else is hungover and no-one wants to shop before 12pm.

Besides having to deal with some returns, which less face it you’re going to be too hungover to give a shit anyway about their out of date receipt which means that your day will be pretty easy. The hangover actually goes away much better too, you can be finished work by 2pm, getting stuck into a McD’s while your flatmates are still at home feeling sorry for themselves!

Always good nights out

If you work in a shopping centre then you’re open late, which means that most of the staff at night times will be students like yourself. This means that the night outs are always messy and nothing beats the awkward shift the next night when two of your co-workers have gone home together.

You can actually afford it

At the end of the month you’ll actually be able to afford go out, go for dinners and enjoy yourself as you’ve worked hard to earn this extra money. Counting down the days until SAAS is in will be a thing of the past as you’ll have two wages coming in each month.