exeter halls evacuated

Halls evacuated after suspected Second World War bomb found in Exeter

Police have called it a ‘major incident’

Police have confirmed houses and university halls were evacuated after a suspected Second World War Bomb was found in Exeter this morning.

Officers were called at around 9:20 this morning to Glenthorne Road and soon closed the surrounding area, Devon Live reports.

A 100m cordon has now been set up around the sight and nearby houses are being evacuated.

A police spokesperson also said uni “staff are assisting with evacuating the nearby halls of residence”, although it has not been confirmed which halls have been affected and evacuated.

A Navy explosive ordinance disposal is on the scene.

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesperson said: “Major incident declared, Exeter: Suspected WW2 device located.

“Police were called to Glenthorne Road, Exeter at around 9.20am this morning following reports that a possible unexploded WW2 device has been located..

“A 100m cordon is currently in place and number of nearby properties are currently being evacuated”.

“The cordon size may change in due course.

“University of Exeter staff are assisting with evacuating the nearby halls of residence.

“The Navy EOD are also on scene and the incident is ongoing.

“People are advised to avoid the area where possible.”

exeter halls evacuated

Students were told about the incident in an email send earlier today which read: “Earlier today builders on private land adjacent to the University uncovered an unexploded WW2 bomb.

“Police are coordinating the incident and there is no indication that this causes imminent danger, but we need to take immediate action.”

The Registrar, Mike Shore-Nye, continued: “The Police have created a 100 metre safe cordon and have evacuated anyone within that area, including just around 200 students from University accommodation.

“If you have been displaced there is currently space available in the following areas of campus: The Terrace, Peter Chalk, The Loft, The Sanctuary, Devonshire House, The Great Hall.

“As part of our management of the incident it will be helpful to keep campus as quiet as possible today and so can we please ask that students who are not attending a timetabled teaching session on campus, or a scheduled welfare appointment, or who are in accommodation on campus which is not affected, do not come to campus until this incident is concluded and we notify you that it is appropriate to return.

“Please be assured that whilst this is a fast-moving situation, it is being managed carefully and we are in full coordination with the authorities.

“I appreciate that this will cause concern and may affect us for some time to come, and we are putting in place measures to ensure that all students and colleagues will be safe and looked after.

“We will communicate further within the next two hours and will share contact details for those who may need additional support.”