Everything you need to know about Semi-Toned’s winning performance on ‘The Choir’

‘It is such an honour’

Last night’s final episode of Gareth Malone’s: Best of Britain saw our boys from Exeter, Semi-Toned crowned the UK’s best choir.

CREDIT: BBC

About their win, Semi-Toned’s Tommy Hamer told The Tab: “We are totally and utterly over the moon to have won! It’s funny because we’ve always tried to keep a really varied repertoire but I don’t think any of us ever imagined we’d be singing our way to victory with a gospel song.

“We were initially quite stumped when presented with Anthem of Praise, but it very quickly became one of our absolute favourite songs we’ve ever done.

“It is such an honour to have been able to show off what we do on a national stage and we hope our new fans stick around for all the exciting things still to come from Semi-Toned!”

Up against Semi-Toned were school choir the Bulmershe ensemble, and gospel choir EAGA.

CREDIT: BBC. Gospel Choir EAGA, who placed second after ST

To spice things up this week, each group had 10 days to prepare two songs: one chosen by Gareth himself and one by another group. In an attempt to challenge their rival, ST chose the soppy and slightly overplayed You’re Beautiful by James Blunt for the Bulmershe choir.

Semi-Toned were given Senorita by Justin Timberlake, and Anthem of Praise by Richard Smallwood. Whilst the Justin Timberlake was a seemingly perfect fit for Semi-Toned, gospel song Anthem of Praise proved more of a challenge for the chaps. They are white boys from Devon, after all. But after some TLC and emotion classes from Gareth, the boys quickly unleashed their church souls.

The pressure’s on

CREDIT: BBC

Always making sure they are the best prepared, the boys locked themselves away in Charlie’s Surrey mansion and weren’t to be phased by the pressure. They were even paid a friendly visit by Gareth himself, who said he wanted to see ‘religious ecstasy’ from their performance.

CREDIT: BBC

CREDIT: BBC. Keeping morale up

Through a combination of port and practice Semi-Toned returned fighting with a remarkable and creative medley of the two songs, wowing the crowd and ensuring a widespread standing ovation. They really do make it look so easy.

CREDIT: BBC

CREDIT: BBC

CREDIT: BBC

Final year, Ted Bertram, was chosen to be the lead soloist for their energetic and musically orgasmic performance. The final performances took place at Central Hall in Westminster to an aca-friendly crowd of 2,000 people, with the other choirs performing first followed by Semi-Toned. They do say save the best till last.

The outcome was judged by a group of acapella experts in choreography and classical, gospel, pop and modern music. During their deliberation however, they were divided.

Semi-Toned were said by one to be the only group with the ‘Wow’ factor, but another likened them to “dads dancing”. After a diplomatic vote between the judges, the results were announced and Semi-Toned were crowned the winners!

It seemed to be the most emotional and meaningful moment of their acapella careers, never has a win be more deserved.

CREDIT: BBC

Watch their winning performance below: