‘We’re absolutely thrilled’: Semi-Toned blast their way through to the finals

Gareth Malone bloody loves them

This year has been pretty bad. Bowie, Brexit, TRUMP. Trump’s Cabinet. But every beastly cloud has a silver lining. And that silver lining is Semi-Toned.

The boys in burgundy have only gone and GOT THROUGH TO THE FINALS of BBC’s The Choir. In what’s been an emotional journey for all those who’ve been watching, Exeter’s (and perhaps now the UK’s) most loveable all-male acapella group have once again proven why they’re simply winners at life.

They told The Tab: “We’re absolutely thrilled to have made it through to the final stage! The semi final was the toughest stage yet and Gareth really challenged us with his song choice of ‘Candle in the wind’ but we learnt so much from it, particularly from our mentors who helped us find the real meaning in the song.”

If you missed it, you can watch the episode here.

CREDIT: BBC

Having previously smashed their counterparts in the audition rounds to win the opportunity to represent the South West in the semi finals, with a memorable pitch perfect sing-off between Semi-Toned and the sassy Exeter Sweet Nothings, the boys came back bouncing with more chinos and charm. In last night’s episode, they competed against other choirs from around the country, such as a gospel choir from the Midlands and a group named ‘Mums from Durham’. For the semi-final bootcamp the groups were whisked to the grandiose campus of Royal Holloway University, famous for its musical reputation and not much else.

CREDIT: BBC

CREDIT: BBC

Each region was given a song chosen by Gareth Malone, in what seemed like an attempt to take them all out of their comfort zones. One group was given the beautiful “Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes’ by The Korgis (and theme tune for classic Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), but sadly no one in the group had heard of it. The same could not be said for Semi-Toned of course, with Tommy Hamer resembling an ecstatic puppy about to be fed when the boys found out their song, ‘Candle in the Wind’. No song can’t mastered by the Masters of Acapella themselves.

CREDIT: BBC

CREDIT: BBC

The groups were all given 3 days and were aided by the help of vocal and performance coaches to perfect their routines ahead of the final show in front of the judges and audience. Despite their crystal clear vocal technique and super smooth camp moves, the ST boys were criticised for their lack of emotional connectivity with their song. This was soon rectified- their dazzling performance featured a beautiful solo by Michael Luya, a particular star of the show so far, and enormous energy and electricity that safely secured their place in the finals.

CREDIT: BBC

CREDIT: BBC

Following the judges’ deliberation, the show culminated with the hotly anticipated and tense revelation of results. Semi-Toned were revealed as first group to stay in the contest, along with EAGA the friendly gospel choir, and the Bulmershe ensemble. Mums in Durham sadly missed out on a chance to perform in the final.

And since the show has graced our televisions the Twittersphere has come alive with ST fever…

They have two EPs out actually: Semi Toned and Sing Theory

Well done boys, you’re possibly the best thing to come out of Exeter since Caroline Lucas.

Catch the final of BBC’s The Choir next Tuesday at 9pm.

(If you’re still not satisfied with your Semi-Toned fix for the week, then fear not for an exclusive and juicy interview with the boys is coming your way very soon….)