A fresher’s guide to after exams fun in Exeter

It’s the best time of year

It’s nearly Easter, which means it’s nearly exam season, which means it’s nearly the summer. It’s the best time of year for Exeter. Goldrush, Hijacked, Touch Duckes and more goldrush, EX4 comes alive in the sunshine. Here’s what you can get up to next term.

Hijacked Festival – 26th May

All we have left of Exeter’s finest Thick as Thieves (ask any 3rd & 4th years). Hijacked brings to you some of the best artists that come to Exeter, and all in just one day! Bringing it back to its roots, it will be set close to town at the beautiful double locks venue. Expect all the festival vibes without the nasty hangover in a tent the next morning, explicit attention to detail, wavy garms, and an epidemic of large pupils. Run by students who know the feeling of the end of term, ticket prices are kept at a minimum. Why wouldn’t you? Second Tier tickets still on sale online or from reps for £30.

The Enchanted Garden Ball – 4th June

Original Sin’s chance to branch out from Arena (Unit 1) on a Monday and get in touch with their more Holland Hall side. This is also the chance for the girls to spend hours of procrastination time scrolling on ASOS for that perfect summery dress. Tickets have sold out early, but don’t worry freshers, there are always flakes selling tickets nearer the time! If you don’t mind whacking off your heels and risking embarrassing dress problems there are activities like zorbing on offer.  This year is particularly big as Wine Soc has teamed up with event to deliver their notorious summer ball. For a mere £58(?!) you can feel like a VIP for the night discussing your favourite fizz or type of cheese. Travel is £5 unless you want to arrive by limo or helicopter.

RUMSPRINGA – 31st May

This is the third year of a seriously fun event run by a collaboration of all the extreme sports societies: Snowsports, Surf Club, Windriders, Slacklinging and Longboarding. First they delivered the biggest boats parties Exeter has ever seen, then they made an extreme sports day festival, and now they are whisking you away to an Aquapark! Think Total Wipeout (only more hydrated).

Other activities on offer are: Zorb Football, Ringoing, FLunkyball (the most underrated drinking game on a volleyballcourt), a Giant Slip & Slide into a lake, SUPing, Canoeing, Last Man Standing, Sumo Suits, and Wakeboard displays. And that’s not all! This year they have teamed up with Exeter’s fastest selling night Don’t Walk, Boogie, to deliver a two floor Cellar Door extravaganza. Committed to giving you a bargain, Day and Night tickets are only £25 and just Night Tickets £5.

Did I mention free travel, food, westuits, soft drinks and BYOB to the wakepark?! Seems like a no brainer. First ticket sale is Tuesday 22nd March by the AMT coffee vender in the forum.

Touch Duckes – 2nd & 3rd June

A two day pimms sesh with a few games of rounders and touch rugby. Somehow The First Fifteen have teamed up with the weather to guarantee sun every time – ensuring short shorts are worn by all. Nice work guys. Team entry is quick to sell out, so I’m sorry, this is one for the spectators! Two days of pure chilling down at the Duckes Meadow, with live music from Sam Baker-Doodles.

The Apres event at TP is your gold card to the gold rush… may the odds be ever in your favour.  This is also a charity event, with all the proceeds going to the specially selected Matt Hampson Trust and the RFU Injured Players Foundation. Teams have sold out and you will only be able to enter the Apres Party with this years wristband, and you can only get a wristband if you are in a team. Don’t let this put you off, we’ll see you there.

English Disco Lovers Boat Party! – 22nd May

Giving the people what they want. EDL (not the English Defence League type) are Exeter’s longest running disco crew. Following on in tradition of the old Thick as Thieves notorious boat parties, they are taking their hand at becoming the new go to nautical fiesta. Exeter’s finest student DJs will be heading up the decks, and with disco tunes like these we dare you not to dance.

This one’s an early one so tough luck if you still have exams… Or you can sack the exams your a first year anyway, aim low for that glorious 40 per cent. As always all the proceeds are going to charity, and the RNLI is particularly suited to this event. Lets just hope no-one jumps in and needs to be rescued! Tickets are extremely limited so keep watching the FB event for details on how to get your hands on one!

The AU Dinner – Who knows

This one is for Exeter’s elite. If you’ve got yourself onto a committee for next year, have bagged yourself a committee member or tasted university success in the cold hard metal of a BUCS medal you should be in for a treat. In the grounds of the castle no less you can drink to your hearts content and chuck chairs about if your team wins any of the awards. Automatic access to the best TP of the year and dressed in your finest, bets are on to try and get an invite. If you’ve made the cut you will be happy to chuck in around £30 for a night of exceptional fun and fireworks.

Radio 1’s Big Weekend 2016 – 28th & 29th May

Odds on getting a ticket. Lets face it hardly any of us will have the pleasure of getting to Powderham Castle to see the likes of Coldplay, Chase & Status and Ellie Goulding. But good luck trying. Word on the street is you have to change your bank address to your Exeter address, but who can be bothered trekking into town from Birks anyway.