What did you think of Freshers’?

We asked some international students their opinions

You’ve spilled your drinks, kissed complete strangers on the dance floor (maybe had a one night stand or two if you were lucky) and it’s now time to check your reading list. Did the International students spend it the same way you did?

Apostolos, postgrad, Engineering Management, Greece

Apostolos and his Syrian friend Leen

I enjoyed Freshers Week in particular because of the variety of events involved catered for every taste. I had a really good time getting to know the British culture.

I did quite a lot to be honest, ranging from clubbing to relaxed pub chat and society socials. If I had to pick a favourite it would be Wednesday night at the TimePiece.

It was properly exciting.

I’m 100 per cent ready to study.

Diletta, fresher, Politics and International Relations, Italy

I met so many friendly people and I’m also starting to experience what having flatmates feels like. Having travelled from Italy to Exeter by air I didn’t manage to carry all the stuff I needed, so I did quite a lot of shopping during the first few days.

I’ve had a good time enjoying society socials like Game of Thrones MUN and Friday pub crawl. Also I loved hitting the beach in Exmouth with my flatmates.

I’ve been lucky to have so many wonderful flatmates. A girl in my block is on the same course and we’re spending so much time together.

In hindsight I had a lot of fun getting to know the British culture.

Martin, postgrad, Economics, France

Martin meditating, as he regularly does

As a postgrad, I felt a little old for Freshers. It felt a lot like high school.

I went to sport taster sessions and to society socials. I joined the canoe society, which is one of the best I think.

I also threw my own flat parties with people I met during socials. It was easy to make friends, but that wasn’t really surprising.

I expected Freshers to be crazy but not people to be so young.

I felt a bit uncomfortable being surrounded with people coming straight from high school.

Kwnstantina, postgrad, Management and Finance, Greece

Strike a pose Kwnstantina

I didn’t go to many events, apart from a postgraduate event during my first week, where I had a really good time.

I did make friends, especially in my hall. It is a really friendly and cosy environment.

Frankly I’d rather spend a few more days adapting to my new situation and making more friends than starting to study, but time goes by so quickly and my course is really demanding.

Ivan, fresher, Accounting and Finance, Bulgaria

Ivan…what a happy Fresher

Freshers week was something that I’m going to remember for a long time. It was quite diverse, from drinking with my flatmates to a trip to the hospital.

I had the Freshers wristband but attended only the Movin’ in party at The Phoenix, The Thai full moon  party, and the American Frat Party.

The other events from the wristband I didn’t go to because we preferred staying in halls and chilling with the people from the other floors in our block.

I’m the kind of person who likes having a purpose and although I love partying and clubbing, I have come here to study, so I think I’ll have to find a way to balance both.

Victoria, postgrad, Behavioural Economics and Finance, China

Victoria’s lecture ready!

Staff members were enthusiastic and really helpful with giving directions and technical support. I attended Bitesize Guide to Essential Resources and Programme Director’s talk (they’re academic ones if you were wondering).

All kinds of societies had their representatives on campus which gave me a chance to meet them, ask questions and find something new to try.

I am definitely ready to study. Knowing how to use library facilities, how to book study rooms, where to find lecturers’ offices. I’ve got everything ready within Fresher’s week.

Sárkà, fresher, Politics and International Relations, Czech Republic

Soaking up the sun?

From the very beginning everyone seemed interesting and friendly, which made  Freshers much more exciting.

The whole week was filled with lots of great activities during the day as well as night, so I always had something fun to do, many opportunities to meet new people and make friends and the famous “pink t-shirts” helped a lot in getting me to know the campus.

I ended up going to a tennis taster, a walk to Double Locks with the Expedition Society as well as taking part in the Game of Thrones themed MUN.

Apart from trying out the various societies I also went to some of the Fresher’s parties and got to know people from my block.

When I came here I did not know anyone, so I was quite nervous.

From the very moment I entered campus I was welcomed by a community of friendly and interesting people, some of which I ended up befriending.

Vakarè, fresher, Economics and Finance, Lithuania

Put on your best smile Vakarè

I definitely enjoyed Freshers’. My Freshers’ week was probably the best way to start a new chapter of life.

I think that I will learn a lot of things here and improve not only academically but also as a person.

Making new friends was easy for me, I met amazing people with different personalities and interests which broadened my horizons.

My flatmates are probably the best I could have wished for, so every day in Exeter is pure entertainment.

So studying is not as hard as I imagined. After two weeks at Exeter I can say that this is the place I want to be.