Leeds fresher dies in tragic accident at Sandy Park

19-year-old Gareth Mound fell 40 feet from a staircase

The promising University of Leeds student fell 40 feet from a staircase, on the main stand at Sandy Park during a wedding party on the evening of Saturday 1st August.

He was treated at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital,  but sadly died as a result of his severe head injuries.

Over 1,000 people have already liked a Facebook page set up for Gareth, originally from Maidenhead, who had recently ended the first year of an Economics degree at Leeds with a First.

Gareth Mound

A black belt in Karate, he was an active member of Leeds University’s Volleyball Club and the Leeds Snowriders.

Gareth has been described by friends and family as “one of the funniest most energetic and sociable friend/family any of us could have hoped for”, a sentiment echoed and reinforced by dozens of stories on Facebook from those who knew him.

The Exeter stadium is still set to play host to three Rugby World Cup pool matches this autumn

Sandy Park is licensed to host private receptions of up to 400 people, however the Health and Safety Executive has launched an investigation into the accident, which is not being treated as suspicious.