Exeter’s music scene is finally improving

Basement Jaxx and Big Narstie are coming in September

Exeter’s music scene has never been anything to shout about, despite being the stomping ground for both Muse and Radiohead’s formative years. But with another brilliant Hijacked under our belt, and some fantastic acts heading to our ends this autumn, has our luck finally changed?

The arrival of one very famous dog/lion catalysed Exeter’s music revolution, following an intimate tour of only the very top locations: London, Ibiza, St Tropez and Exeter. Unfortunately for Snoop Dogg, Exeter was missing one key ingredient – the majority of its population who were back in the Home Counties.

Exeter was an even bigger mistake for Snoop than working with Katy Perry.

Just as our very own Thick as Thieves were stolen from us, they left a present. A tiny beautiful festival where even the most Holland of hallers could show their true colours. Gorgon City and Bondax has led to even bigger names such as Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Congo Natty, Ms Dynamite and Big Narstie.

Apparently people even got the train from Bristol to come to Hijakced

After enjoying the South West so much, Big Narstie is planning on going large at Exeter Phoenix in October, having been named Urban Music’s ‘Best Grime Act’ two years running. Even with the complete lack of Sarf Landanas, the night is not to be missed.

And next term Exeter is welcoming us back with something that is totally unexpected, something that is totally inconceivable and totally unbelievable. However, unlike outdoor cinemas, giant water fights and giant slides, these promises aren’t empty.

A recent study has shown that a rise in high waisted jeans positively correlates with Exeter being visited by decent acts

Basement Jaxx are leaving the likes of Pacha in Ibiza and hitting up our exotic shores in Freshers Week. Northernhay Gardens might be no Ushuaïa, but with sun, Pimm’s and absolute bangers – who could resist?

Now we just need Cellar Door to reopen and we’re away.