Wells Tavern set to reopen after squatters removed

Forget the Vic, everyone’s fave pub is back on the scene

The Wells Tavern is finally reopening this summer under new management after ballsy squatters were removed this week.

The well known boozer has been closed for eighteen months, after police discovered in 2014 that staff had been involved in a drugs operation.

After police uncovered a stash of weed at the Tavern it was swiftly shut down, much to the annoyance and dismay of the watering hole’s loyal revellers.

Gaining notoriety and Instagram kudos, the “derelicte” pub was recently home to a group of squatters who have since been removed.

This week it was announced that the dilapidated pub is set to reopen under new management, ready in time for Fresher’s Week in September.

Josh Stevens, an English third year said: “The Wells Tavern is a bit like having a tomato in an English breakfast.

“I didn’t particularly miss it when it wasn’t there, but I’ll be glad when its back”

Speaking to the Exeter Express and Echo a Punch Taverns spokesperson said: “We can confirm that squatters had occupied the Wells Taverns but have now been removed and the property secured.

“We are currently sourcing a new operator, looking towards a potential re-opening in late August.”