BREAKING: Cellar Door closing down

Popular underground venue to shut after only reopening in 2011

exclusive

Cellar Door is to close its doors for the last time on Saturday 19th July.

The venue at The Quay, host to popular student nights Thick As Thieves and EXIT, as well as Beats and Bass nights, is shutting down alongside its sister venue, The Revelry.

Since re-opening in 2011, the Cellar had played host to some of the biggest and most respected DJs in the country – as well as serving as a breeding ground for Exeter’s student DJ scene.

Cellar Door hosted The Tab’s relaunch night back in October 2012

In a Facebook post, the owners of the venue expressed their gratitude to punters.

The post reads “On Saturday 19th July The Cellar Door and The Revelry will close their doors for the final time.

“We would like to thank everyone who we have worked with over the last three years and especially thank all of you who have partied with us.

“It has been a fantastic time for us and we are all sad that the time has come to move on but also excited for the future.”

The Thick As Thieves team said “Thick As Thieves are gutted that the venue where we cut our teeth is sadly closing.

“We wish the best of luck to The Cellar Door team.

“The TaT winter event series will strive along at various venues, including big announcements in the pipeline around our third birthday later this year.”

Emerging rumours suggest that the venues have been sold – and are set to be converted into a gastro-pub.

Tributes have started to pour in from all quarters of the student-sphere.

Third-year Economics student Jonny Buck said “I’m stunned. It’s such a shame to see such a great venue closing.

“I had most of my best nights in Exeter at the Cellar – somewhere new and similar should pop up soon.”

Cloe Fernandez Barnes, set to return from abroad for fourth year in September, said “It was a really refreshing venue compared to others in Exeter, with some brilliant club nights.

“There aren’t enough clubs in Exeter anyway. I don’t want to have to spend another night of the week at Arena.

Tweet us your tributes to The Cellar @TheTabExeter. Or tell us on Facebook. Or in the comments below. Or don’t.