Keep Calm & Stay Dry: Wet Weather Wear

In wet weather, flip flops will falter and gilets will saturate. Sorry, guys, shorts will simply not suffice.

fashion Tab Fashion the tab the tab exeter

But, don’t worry, Tab Fashion is at hand. We’ve come up with some simple tips and outfit ideas to stay dry and stylish – and to help you avoid looking like a drowned rat, of course.

1. Invest in a decent umbrella (folders don’t count):

For girls, Paperchase and H&M offer cute styles that can liven up a miserable day. They’re also affordable, so you don’t have to worry about breaking your budget if you break them.

This guy’s got the right idea.

2. Hood up:

No, I’m not referring to that secret gang of thugs you’re part of. It’s simple: find a jacket with a waterproof hood. Not all jackets make you look like you belong on a mountain peak or part of Time Team. Trench coats are perfect for this sort of weather.

The feeling after getting caught in a downpour on campus.

3. Boots, boots and more boots:

Flip flops are not your friend in the rain. The same goes for pumps, Toms and anything with an open toe. Put on a pair of Converse, trainers or a simple (but effective) pair of boots. Your feet, and your friends, will thank you for it.

Watch and learn. Not a flip flop in sight.

4. You are not a cake. Try to avoid too many layers:

Getting soaked is one thing, but getting soaked when wearing five different layers is a whole new story. If you’re going to be sitting on campus all day, the last thing you want is to be feeling like a human sponge. Wear something light under your jacket, and bring a spare jumper or hoodie in your bag to put on once you’ve finished swimming to campus.

Sitting in The Forum after getting caught in the rain

5. Step away from the shorts:

The same goes for skirts, girls. Sure, nobody’s stopping you from being a free spirit, but you’ll be cold, drenched and looking like you just stumbled out of the Sharknado film. Say goodbye and adopt a pair of full-length jeans or trousers for the time-being. If you’re on your way to play sports, you’ll feel even worse if you’re soaked through before you arrive.

Now is not the time for onesies either, I’m afraid.

6. Finally:

Opt for bright colours to liven up your outfit. Just because it’s grey outside doesn’t mean your style has to suffer!