Exeter University Responds to EDL

Exeter University responds to EDL’s remarks about the Arab and Islamic Institute

Exeter Together have made plans to run a counter demonstration to the EDL’s planned march on 16th November.

The EDL claimed that they were marching in Exeter because the University is “the home of the European Muslim Research Centre and also the home of the Arab and Islamic Studies”. They also cited donations made by Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad al-Qasimi, ruler of Sharjah.

In response, Exeter Together will be bidding to show the city’s diversity on the same day, and hundreds of groups and individuals, including MP Ben Bradshaw, have signed up in support.

Exeter-Together

Although the route of the march has not been made public, the University is expecting it not to affect them.

A spokesperson for the University said: “The Arab and Islamic world is a subject of academic study at the University in the same way as Physics, History, French or English. It doesn’t follow that just because we have an academic specialism that the University is sympathetic to any particular cause.

“Yes, we have accepted donations from people and institutions in the Middle East for the pursuance of research or teaching, as we have from the UK, the US and Europe.

“All large donations are ethically checked before they are received. Saudi Arabia is the UK’s biggest trading partner in the Middle East and designated a ‘High Growth Market’ by UKTI, as is the Emirates, of which Sharjah is a part.”

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall police added: “We are aware of the planned march and are putting appropriate measures in place. We cannot comment any further at this time.”

@jazzykinks
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Exeter University student jailed after sexual assault

He used his phone to watch clips with titles such as ‘He made this cute girl cry’

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Clubbers of the Week

Was it a messy one then, hun?

Everything that happened at Hijacked 2016

Does anyone have spare gum?

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Made In Chelsea has gone to the dogs

For God’s sake, will you maintain a modicum of decorum?

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’