Exeter University Responds to EDL

Exeter University responds to EDL’s remarks about the Arab and Islamic Institute

Exeter Together have made plans to run a counter demonstration to the EDL’s planned march on 16th November.

The EDL claimed that they were marching in Exeter because the University is “the home of the European Muslim Research Centre and also the home of the Arab and Islamic Studies”. They also cited donations made by Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad al-Qasimi, ruler of Sharjah.

In response, Exeter Together will be bidding to show the city’s diversity on the same day, and hundreds of groups and individuals, including MP Ben Bradshaw, have signed up in support.

Exeter-Together

Although the route of the march has not been made public, the University is expecting it not to affect them.

A spokesperson for the University said: “The Arab and Islamic world is a subject of academic study at the University in the same way as Physics, History, French or English. It doesn’t follow that just because we have an academic specialism that the University is sympathetic to any particular cause.

“Yes, we have accepted donations from people and institutions in the Middle East for the pursuance of research or teaching, as we have from the UK, the US and Europe.

“All large donations are ethically checked before they are received. Saudi Arabia is the UK’s biggest trading partner in the Middle East and designated a ‘High Growth Market’ by UKTI, as is the Emirates, of which Sharjah is a part.”

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall police added: “We are aware of the planned march and are putting appropriate measures in place. We cannot comment any further at this time.”

@jazzykinks
Heard something newsworthy?

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

The Business School had an IT meltdown and no one could get their results

As if it wasn’t stressful enough

I got creeped on by a Domino’s delivery driver after he gave me my food

He said: ‘You pretty lady. You know it’

Everything you thought you knew about pole fitness is wrong

There’s a reason why we don’t wear much while doing it

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Contributing Editor

Every single person you will ever sleep with

Literally all of them, we’re not even joking

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset