Exeter University Responds to EDL

By on

Exeter University responds to EDL’s remarks about the Arab and Islamic Institute

Exeter Together have made plans to run a counter demonstration to the EDL’s planned march on 16th November.

The EDL claimed that they were marching in Exeter because the University is “the home of the European Muslim Research Centre and also the home of the Arab and Islamic Studies”. They also cited donations made by Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad al-Qasimi, ruler of Sharjah.

In response, Exeter Together will be bidding to show the city’s diversity on the same day, and hundreds of groups and individuals, including MP Ben Bradshaw, have signed up in support.

Although the route of the march has not been made public, the University is expecting it not to affect them.

A spokesperson for the University said: “The Arab and Islamic world is a subject of academic study at the University in the same way as Physics, History, French or English. It doesn’t follow that just because we have an academic specialism that the University is sympathetic to any particular cause.

“Yes, we have accepted donations from people and institutions in the Middle East for the pursuance of research or teaching, as we have from the UK, the US and Europe.

“All large donations are ethically checked before they are received. Saudi Arabia is the UK’s biggest trading partner in the Middle East and designated a ‘High Growth Market’ by UKTI, as is the Emirates, of which Sharjah is a part.”

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall police added: “We are aware of the planned march and are putting appropriate measures in place. We cannot comment any further at this time.”

• Frédéric Chopin

Why does Rupert Harbig have the smallest thighs out of the captains?

• Justice4Chumpy

Is Rory Sanderson playing?

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

How private school is your course?

The majority of medics went to private school

By and on

Inside Exeter’s Safer Sex Ball 2015

Ms. Dynamite, a giant rodeo penis and all of this

By and on

Why walk when you could boogie?

Calling all lovers of Funk

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat