Why ‘Blurred Lines’ Should Be Banned

Jaz Sansoye argues why the Students’ Guild should ban ‘Blurred Lines’

| UPDATED Blurred Lines Blurred Lines Ban EUSA Robin Thicke students' guild the tab the tab exeter

Thus far, only a handful of universities (Edinburgh, Leeds, Derby, Kingston and West Scotland) have banned ‘Blurred Lines’ from being played at their union pubs and clubs, and I believe Exeter should be the next university to sign up to its expulsion.

Reiterated by the line “the way you grab me, (you) must wanna get nasty,” the song’s degrading lyrics suggest women readily give consent to men for sex (wishful thinking, perhaps), whilst also assuming that doing so will somehow help to “liberate” them.

Apart from Robin #Thicke, who else wears sunglasses when in bed?

It’s bad enough that, when clubbing, women have to deal with unwanted groping and sexual remarks – not to mention the prospect of a pissed partygoer taking Thicke’s lyrics to heart.

In the Lemmy, then, do we really want to listen to a song that condones and arguably encourages such a disrespectful attitude towards women?

Later in the song, surrounded by topless women in the explicit version of the music video, T.I. raps what is perhaps the most graphic line: “I’ll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two.”

Is Robin trying to suggest to us that he has some sort of a feet fetish?

Now, please forgive me if you think I’m wrong for saying so, but I can’t imagine how having your ass ripped into two separate parts is a particularly pleasant feeling.

Although laddish behaviour is a huge part of student culture, Thicke, together with his publicists, has taken it a step too far in their judgment of what sort of sex-related lyrics are socially acceptable nowadays.

If his sexist lyrics are passed off as banter, it just shows that sexual violence – and the objectification of women – is becoming something increasingly commonplace in the mainstream media.

Even with ice-cream in hand, he just looks a bit creepy, doesn’t he?

For me, the most shocking thing is that the Lemmy plays the song with the accompanying explicit version of the video in which the women are all topless.

As a female, it can be quite uncomfortable to see this in a club full of testosterone-fuelled men, and I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling such unease.

In all fairness, since Edinburgh Universtiy’s Stduents’ Guild banned ‘Blurred Lines’ earlier this month, the Students’ Guild has realised how much of a pertinent issue the song is for university students.

Stay sitting down, Ms. Pretty-Looking Blonde Model, T.I. is about.

Chris Rootkin, Welfare Sabb, says: “the song is clearly distressing for a number students, and the Guild will always take every student’s requests and opinions very seriously.”

Personally, I’m all for a good tune and, without such explicit and demeaning lyrics, ‘Blurred Lines’ would be an incredible song.

I know “fuck me” rhymes with “hug me,” Robin, but sometimes we just want a cuddle without a poke from your penis.