The low-down on Edinburgh’s newest craze: Finsta

Where shit-posting becomes art

A “Finsta” for those uninitiated, simply means a fun or funny Instagram account. It’s a second account that you post all of your funny and stupid pictures on. The stuff that would be great on Snapchat, but this requires more appreciation of your wit.

The Finsta craze started in the US, where they’ve been around for years, but they seem to have only recently been adopted by people this side of the pond. Mostly it’s been because we’ve been seeing how much fun our American friends have been having with them, and the desire to have our wit and funny faces appreciated by the world.

The basic premise is as follows: Take a funny photo, can be of yourself or something that you see. Then post it with a funny caption that is so #relatable. It’s pretty much just making yourself into a meme, by using the pic as a reaction to a funny scenario.

Baby photos make for great reaction pics

One benefit of having a finsta is that it can also be totally anonymous. You make a fake, kinda ridiculous name, and set your profile to private and no one can see your shitposting unless you accept them.

New Finsta, who dis?

Basically it’s just a place where you can celebrate all the great, crazy, weird and wacky stuff you and your friends get up to. Where there’s a camera, there’s a finsta waiting to happen.

iconique

Fewer people post on Facebook these days, and Instagram is mostly too artsy or pretty for saying what you really mean in the form of gifs. When you find something you really identify with, something that really speaks to you, forget all the pretentiousness of Instagram and post that shit on your finsta. It’s like Twitter, but relevant.

I really connected with this one

So go on, what are you waiting for? The internet needs more of your shit-posting and your face makes for the perfect reaction gif. Make a Finsta. Embrace your alternate insta personality. Do it.