Someone was murdered last night in New Town

It happened on Scotland Street

A man was found dead last night in his New Town house in circumstances that are being described as “suspicious”.

According to Police Scotland, the body was found at around 5.30am on Scotland Street and had “sustained significant injuries”. The police were called to the property after several phone calls from neighbours reporting “disturbances”.

The dead man is said to have been in his 20s.

Though no suspects are apparently in custody, two cars across the road from the house have been cordoned off. One car had a sign in the window asking for spare change. The other reportedly had a bag of medical prescriptions within.

A former resident of the area, Josh, a 3rd year student currently on his year abroad, said it was not the first time he’d questioned the safety of the area after his flat was broken into last year.

“It is surprising though that a murder would take place on Scotland Street. Generally speaking, Scotland Street has always been a quiet and friendly street with relatively little drama.”

Police Scotland are asking anyone with information to come forwards.

“[We] would urge anyone who was in the Scotland Street area on the morning of Friday 2 December to get in touch with us immediately.”