Edinburgh Wahaca investigated after reported cases of Norovirus

They’re still open

The Wahaca on St Andrews Street is currently under investigation from Public Health England after several customers were taken ill by what is suspected to be the Norovirus.

According to the Edinburgh Evening News, the investigation was launched after several customers reported symptoms similar to those seen in Norovirus victims. One customer, who spoke to the News, reported feeling ill 48 hours after eating the “Mexican Feast”, with symptoms of sickness, aching limbs, headache, fever and stomach cramps.

Wahaca has in the past had to close nine restaurants after reportedly more than 300 people caught Norovirus after eating at the Mexican restaurant. It is feared that the newly opened Edinburgh Wahaca may have the same issues.

When the Tab spoke to Wahaca they said that they were still open for business. They admitted that a few weeks ago there had been “a problem” but claimed that now everything “seemed back to normal”.

The Public Health service has invited those have eaten at the Edinburgh Wahaca at the end of last month to complete an online questionnaire concerning their experiences.