All Edinburgh lectures to be recorded from September 2017

“This is one of the most significant enhancements of the learning experience at the University in the past few decades”

After years of students calling for all lectures to be recorded, the university has finally committed to installing a new lecture recording system for every course at Edinburgh starting next September.

The system, which will cost the university millions of pounds, has been lobbied for by EUSA for a number of years.

Giving his reaction to the news, EUSA President Alec Edgecliffe-Johnson said: “The Students’ Association has been lobbying the university for this system for several years, and we are incredibly pleased with this decision. Recorded lectures will support revision, facilitate interdisciplinary activity and will increase the accessibility of content for students with learning adjustments, disabilities and/or difficulties with the English language.

“This is one of the most significant enhancements of the learning experience at the University in the past few decades.”

One of the arguments against having recorded lectures has been that they would decrease lecture attendance, but Edgecliffe-Johnson is confident that this won’t be the case. He said: “It has been demonstrated in several institutions that recorded lectures do not decrease lecture attendance.”

Hopefully lecture theatres don’t end up being this empty all the time

The system, to be installed for the start of next year is an opt-out system, so all lecturers are expected to participate. It might take longer for to install the system in some smaller lecture halls, but the majority of students will see instant changes when they start the new academic year.