Fossil fuel divestment campaigners occupy Charles Stewart House

Around 30 people have occupied the uni finance building

Protesters have occupied Charles Stewart House, where the uni’s finance department is located.

Angered at the uni’s refusal to divest from fossil fuels, a group of student demonstrators have occupied the building.

Apparently the Senior Vice Principal Charlie Jeffery tried to forcibly prevent the students from getting in.

Protestors in the building

In a statement, the protestors said: “They will remain as long as the University refuses to make tangible commitments to ‘stop funding climate change’ by divesting from fossil fuels over the next five years.”

This is an escalation of action following on from previous “die-ins” and a petition handed to the deputy Vice-Chancellor.

The group People and Planet Edinburgh are behind the occupation.

Around 30 people are occupying the building and the uni has six security officers there.

In a related blog post, they say: “WE ARE OCCUPYING BECAUSE:

• The University of Edinburgh have not committed to divestment.
  • The process surrounding the decision to not divest has been extremely un-transparent.
  • The decision not to divest has been contrary to the will of students and staff.
  • The process surrounding the decision to not divest has not delivered any immediate results.
  • People and Planet, the initiators of the campaign, have been excluded from all working group meetings and announcements.
  • We’ve had three years of debate and empty promises, the time for action is yesterday.”

A previously held die-in (Photo: Rob Edwards)

Activist Kirsty Haigh said: “Despite the overwhelming support for fossil fuel divestment in a public consultation, the university have proved they are in the pockets of the fossil fuel industry.

“Climate change is the most urgent threat the world is facing, and Tuesday’s announcement tells us the university is not taking it seriously enough.”

Protestor and NUS rep Kirsty Haigh

Kirsty, who is also President of FemSoc, added: “For the past three years every piece of evidence we’ve provided, and their own consultation, proved that students, staff and alumni want full divestment.

“Our university claims to be a leader in sustainability but today have clearly proved this is not the case.”

Fellow campaigner Eleanor Dow said: “Caveats on divestment are simply not good enough and are simply a way of delaying any decision even further.

“For years the University have been engaging with companies and it hasn’t worked so far and so it’s ignorant or at best naive to suggest this time it will work.”

English Lit second year Hannah Roques, added: “After yesterday’s announcement, we thought we’d escalate the campaign.

“We’re really angry that this has happened and disappointed that the university hasn’t followed the lead of Glasgow in divestment.

“We’ve been here since 12.30, and won’t go until we’re forced out or our demands are met. If we have to, we’ll stay for a week.

“I got involved through People and Planet, there about 30 of us here right now, and more are joining us.”

Greg Eichhorn, doing a Master’s in International and Political theory, said: “I’ve been involved with the group for a year, so it was natural to get involved here.”

“There was a tussle at the start, where the Senior Vice Principal Charlie Jeffrey forcibly stopped us from occupying the room.

“It calmed down after we found a back entrance and when security arrived.”

Greg Eichhorn

Physics fresher Steph Campbell said: “We had a meeting organised with the uni in the morning, so that’s how we first got in.

“It’s all been very peaceful since the initial tussle.

“I’ve never been involved with People and planet before today, it was my flat mate who asked me to come and I plan on staying until the demands are met.”

Steph Campbell

Following the University’s fossil fuel policy announcement, campaigners were involved in a Twitter spat with the EUSA representative who took part in the discussions.

EUSA are pro-divestment publicly, but protesters said they have failed to deliver and represent their views.

A uni spokesperson said: “The University fully supports the right of all students to protest lawfully and peacefully.

“The student body has been represented throughout Edinburgh’s fossil fuels investment policy discussions.

“Following a request from our Students’ Association, the University set up a Fossil Fuels Review Group to consider the case for divestment of University assets from fossil fuel companies.

“As announced on Tuesday, the University will use its research activities and responsible investment to work with companies to reduce their emissions.”