Panda Watch: fourth time lucky for Edinburgh’s Panda?

Edinburgh's Pandas take the scientific route in hopes of a baby panda.

Tian Tian, Edinburgh’s famous Giant Panda, was artificially inseminated on Sunday. The process came after she failed to mate with male partner Yang Guang.

Intimacy troubles have proved a constant barrier in the face of Tian Tian’s desired pregnancy and the Zoo is hoping that despite not getting it on with Yang Guang, that with the help of his sperm she will be fourth time lucky.

Panda_Cub_from_Wolong,_Sichuan,_China

Oh, so cute!

Panda specialists are feeling hopeful this year as both pandas have been showing positive breeding signs. The two pandas recovered quickly from the procedure, with Yang Guang popping off for some honey and bamboo afterwards. Classic case of a greedy Panda.

panda loses baby

Nom, nom, nom.

The only issue is that we won’t actually know if Tian Tian is pregnant until she gives birth. This is due to pseudo pregnancies and delayed implantation, so if she is knocked up it’ll be like a Panda special of I didn’t know I was pregnant.

However, there is growing concern that procedures such as this are both unhelpful and unnecessary. Organisations such as Animal Concern believe that artificial insemination will result in a species of panda that live in the wild requiring a team of specialists to follow them around China with buckets of frozen sperm.

panda cub

Yes please!

Regardless, our fingers are crossed for a cute baby Panda to be on the way.  After all, there is plenty more space on the internet for videos of baby pandas sneezing.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Edinburgh Editor of The Tab

Edinburgh University wants you to vote to stay in the EU

A vote to leave could put foreign students in an uncertain position

, Edinburgh News Editor of The Tab

We went back and looked at Edinburgh 2015/16 fresher pages

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

, Edinburgh News Editor of The Tab

Edinburgh sort your apocalyptic weather out

Even for Scotland, snow in May is a bit much

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support

Why I’ll never, ever get married

If you like it, then please don’t put a ring on it

, Editor, The Tab Manchester

These are the things that made me realise I had depression

Was I depressed or just being a bitch?