EUSA Ban ‘Blurred Lines’ In Lad Culture Clampdown

by , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

No. 1 causing feminist stir has been banned from being played in all EUSA buildings.

Follow all the Freshers’ week news and pictures with our Freshers Live Blog – click here.

Edinburgh’s Student Union has banned the song ‘Blurred Lines’ from playing in any of its student buildings.

The number one by Robin Thicke has caused huge controversy because of sexist lyrics including: “He don’t smack that ass and pull your hair like that” and “I’ll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two.”

And who said class was dead?

And who said class was dead?

At the Silent Headphone Disco at Teviot on Sunday night, a DJ was told to fade out the song mid-way, despite the fact that the students were given the choice not to listen to the song by switching to another channel on the headphones.

This ban was placed in line with EUSA’s new clampdown on lad culture, issuing a policy to ‘End Rape Culture and Lad Banter on Campus.’ This plans to end “myths and sterotypes around sexual violence”.

The creepiest face we've seen in a while.

The creepiest face we’ve seen in a while.

This ban also comes as a ‘Blurred Lines’ parody is also banned from YouTube. The Thicke hit (no pun intended) was reworked by three, law students from New Zealand, replacing topless women with hard-hitting feminism and renamed “Defined Lines.”

At the time of publishing EUSA were unavailable to comment.

Facebook Twitter
The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

by on

What’s the maddest thing that happened to you in Freshers?

There’s always one kid who ends up in hospital after Hive

by , Edinburgh News Editor of The Tab on

It’s time to recognise St Andrews for what it really is – the most tragic uni in Scotland

Pompous, pretentious and utterly unbearable