Edinburgh Student Takes On Tough Mudder

Calum Hervieu takes on the toughest challenge on the planet.

A second year student has signed up to participate in the Tough Mudder event to raise funds for wounded Armed Force members.

Calum Hervieu has always been interested in charity work, but found working as a “chugger” (those really irritating people who bug you walking down the street) slightly exhausting and past the point. After deciding there were “definitely much better ways to make money for charities”, he started taking a different approach to his charity work.

The only irritating thing about charity.

Last year, Calum planned and lead a 192 mile hike from the West to East coast of Britain, and raised around £3,000 for Help the Heroes. This amazing achievement, along with meeting directly with people who the charity helps, spurred him on to try a new challenge.

This year, Calum is participating in the Tough Mudder event, which is a 12 mile obstacle course created by the British Special Forces. The event is meant to push you to the limit, both mentally and physically, and “there’s lots of mud, lots of ice cold water and a couple of electric shocks too,” Calum tells us. Since they’re an official partner of Help For Heroes, Calum sees this as a great opportunity to continue helping the cause.

Looks like fun..

To date, the Tough Mudder event has had over 1,000,000 participants worldwide, and is described as “the toughest event on the planet.” Activities  (if you can call them that) include walking through fire, being repeatedly shocked by volts of electricity, and summiting a glacier. A walk in the park really.

Think I might give it a miss this year..

Calum tells us he’s definitely not “super fit and healthy”, but he said he’s looking forward to the challenge. If you’re feeling up for the challenge, visit the Tough Mudder website for more information. And feel free to donate as much as you possibly can. Go, go, go.