Durham Uni Fashion Show raises record amount for charity

They raised over £75,000 for the International Rescue Committee

Durham’s annual fashion show has made history by raising over £75,000 for charity. This makes it the most successful show of its kind in the country in terms of money raised.

The event took place over two days, on the 3rd and 4th February, where over 1500 tickets were sold. Over 60 student models took part, showcasing designers that have been featured in Vogue, GQ and I-D magazine.

Rowena Soons, the president of the show, said: “In the current political climate, with Trump most recently signing an executive order to allow extreme vetting on all refugees, the need to keep the humanity and dignity of displaced people at the forefront of people’s minds has never been stronger.

“We have an amazing platform and opportunity to raise these issues within our student community and we have been mindblown by the response and generosity of Durham students.

“A donation of £75,000 will be the largest amount ever raised in the UK by a student event and knowing it is going to such an incredible cause makes the committee and I incredibly proud of our student community for helping us achieve it”

Photo credit to Mike Dennison