A Hatfield student has tragically died on his year abroad

He was on track for a first-class degree

A Hatfield student on a year abroad in a Japan tragically died on New Year’s Day.

Justin Browning, a third year Historian, died in a tragic accident. He plunged to his death from the top of a high-rise building in Tokyo while celebrating the New Year. His body is understood to have been discovered on the ground by a taxi driver.

Justin was studying at Waseda University in Tokyo as part of his History degree. The University has said he was on track for a first-class honours degree, having been awarded a scholarship on the basis of his results last year.

An email was sent to Hatfield students by Professor Anthony Bash, a Senior Tutor at Hatfield, explaining the distressing news.

The email stated that Justin tragically died in an accident late on New Year’s Eve / early on New Year’s day.

Bash wrote:

‘We are not entirely clear about what happened, but went to the top of  a high-rise building in Tokyo to watch the new year celebrations. He became separated from his friends, and tragically fell to his death.’

Hatfielders were also reminded that the University Counselling Service, in the Palatine Centre, will be available if they would like to talk to someone further about their own sense of loss and grief, by Bash. Students can self-refer to the service, or Bash has offered to help refer them.

There will be a memorial event in Hatfield college to commemorate Justin.