What was your marriage proposal like?

I wrote a mathematical Shakespearian sonnet

College marriage is a big deal, if you’re going to pop the question it’s got to be a moment you’ll both remember till death do you part, or graduation in this case.

Here are some of Durham student’s accounts of how they sealed the deal.

Freddie, Mary’s, Anthropology & Archaeology, first year

“She put her hand up and asked the lecturer if he knew whether I would marry her. I was stunned to silence which she took as a yes and the lecturer applauded.”

Jake, Chad’s, Natural Sciences, third year

“I proposed to my college husband by writing ‘will you marry me’ in big green letters on the backboard in a lecture theatre. When the lecturer raised the board she turned the brightest shade of red. He said yes and it was beautiful.”

Digby, Cuths, Geology, third year

“I wrote a mathematical Shakespearean sonnet and recited it out in my kilt in a maths lecture. People in the aisle seats stood and formed an arch leading to her. It was so good I still remember it:

Tis a path well trodden since times of old. An adventure, a journey, which shows the world a new dimension.

In the cold lifeless matrices of ones and zeroes, I am first known as addition.

Dot me, I may multiply, but for now I am a vector, a scalar with direction.

My magnitude increases as I vow to soon combine.

Behind me lies my single life, ahead my power is raised.

The time has come to ask the girl on whom I’ve risked it all.

Louisa Johns, my square root, my heart doth sum to this; a proposal to thee for life, on bended knee; will you be my college wife?

The lecturer let us go half an hour early as he was too emotional.”

Abi, Chad’s, Music, first year

“I came back from a lecture to find an envelope which was filled with my fav cheese (Brie) and a message asking me to marry him. The ceremony was on Prebend’s bridge in the rain and black tie. We got married with vows, flowers and champagne, it’s for better or worse. Until we graduate.”

Philippa, Chad’s, Theology, first year

“On the first night of freshers I got with this boy in Wiff Waff. He couldn’t remember the next day so I avoided him until two weeks later I woke up with a ring on my finger.

“Turns out some instinct had told him to pop the question in Wiff Waff – we’re living together next year and welcoming our first addition to the family soon after.”

Sam, John’s, Theology, third year

“After a succinct, eloquent and highly charming proposal I would whip out a white dress and get my future wife changed and in the chapel. The congregation agreed to be in black tie and my course mate Harry, a distinguished organist (‘I played at Eton chapel once in year eight’) would play as she walked down the aisle.

“Our college president would take the ceremony – celebrating our marriage in front of our (college) family. Speeches and the reception (John’s formal) were to be straight after.

“But sadly I missed my train and we never married. Who needs marriage anyway? It’s the 21st century.”

Charlie, Hatfield, French & Italian, first year

“It was on the Assembly Rooms’ stage, I’m the producer for the freshers’ play – as the director he wanted to give some pre performance feedback to the cast but left me standing alone on stage. ‘Marry you’ by Bruno Mars started playing.

“I turned round and Patrick was behind me with a rose in his mouth. Everyone cheered and he got down on one knee to propose, with ring box and diamond (I presume).”

Channing, 19, Mary’s, Art, second year

”I did a Bass hunter themed proposal. After Bass hunter performed (I couldn’t do it during because it was so tragic) I bought her a Bass hunter poster and put in a post it note which had directions leading all over college in a treasure hunt with the words ‘All I ever wanted’ leading to the chapel where is was waiting with a ring to get on one knee.”

Bean, Issy, Beth, second years

Beth: We got married on the Princey B. He said I’ll only marry you if you get with my friend.

Issy: It was on the Princey B. I was like I don’t know who you are and that I’d only marry him if he found me an Oreo milkshake and the right colour haribo ring.

Bean: He was gonna propose to someone else on the Princey B but then he changed his mind and proposed to me. We don’t get on very well anymore.

Who said romance was dead?