Castle’s new modelling criteria is a victory for all of us

It’s time to let our your inner sass

Modelling is a grim world to get involved in. So let’s give Castle some credit.

In the real world of modelling you’re treated like an object and obliged to do what someone want you to do for a few hours. The only qualification you need is a jawline, bra size and strong cheekbones.

Her personality is also great

So Castle’s new modelling policy is a victory for all of us. Basing selection of models based on personality is great – we shouldn’t make uni a place for childish beauty contests. These shows are charity events and we go every year to have a good laugh and whether or not the models are stunning is irrelevant.

Making the selection process a chilled event will make the show a chilled event. Personally I would have more fun seeing my friends, regardless of how attractive, up on the stage having fun and pulling ridiculous poses while wearing ridiculous clothes.

Making it all about looks isn’t funny and just pure try hard. Let’s be honest here: we are at uni. This is not Milan, Paris or London fashion week.

Think of their mothers

We are not trying to impress anyone and we’re not paying our model in excess of £400 an hour. We are in Durham for crying out loud. The most frequently seen item of niche fashion is the pre-tied bow-tie, or the Barbour wax jacket. We’re not fashionistas at some fashion college designing the next best thing to whack on someone who’s Size Double Zero.

It is going to be great to have a fashion show that’s not going to exclude people based on some sort of Western standard of beauty.

They may not look like Brad Pitt or Keira Knightley (we can only dream) but they want to strut their stuff and let out their inner sass. It’s about time we give these people a chance, and it’s refreshing that the oldest college is taking this kind of lead. This will be an inclusive event. The less beautiful, albeit pretty-inside, people might just have the same level of catwalk talent as the beauties.

Do you know her story?

If we’re frank a lot of what Durham is about is having fun when you’re not working.

Doing the fashion show this way is going to make it more fun for all of us, and means people don’t have to feel excluded while at uni. Let’s save the objectification of people into meat lumps for the creepy guys in the club and the real gritty fashion world.