As a languages student, I’m not surprised everyone’s sick of our year abroad blogs

Don’t judge us all by our poor choice of title

Everyone is sick to the back-teeth of year abroad blogs and rightly so – because every language student seems to have one.

Blogs are a fun and easy way to keep in touch with each others lives. But as a language student I can completely understand why you’re sick of us and our blogs.

There are two main types of year abroad blogs. Those describing the brilliant country with quaint little cultural differences, and those that attempt humour by moaning constantly about the quaint little cultural differences and how bloody inconvenient they are.

The main problem with the first blog grouping is content overload. Unlike their daily Instagram posts, these bloggers simply don’t seem to have a filter on what they put on the internet.

An average post will range from seven to 150 pages and contain descriptions and details of absolutely everything. From the cute cobbled backstreet that leads to the most authentic tapas restaurant in Seville that no one knows about except the locals and you, to the precise layout of the sauna you spent the afternoon naked in, chatting to two old Russians about the Soviet Union.

These stories should be told in person not on your blog in mind-numbing fashion. It also doesn’t help that these posts are usually peppered with multiple clichés about whirlwinds and other face-palm expressions.

The other type of YA blog comes from a collection of aspiring newspaper columnists and travel writers who like to think their writing puts a witty or fresh new spin on quirky foreign experiences but is actually just glorified complaining.

These complaints about how it’s still baking hot in winter eventually reach the point where you lot back home must ask: are we even trying to have fun? Or are we just thinking about things to whinge about?

The unrelenting stream of blog-accompanying images also becomes irksome. Perhaps a Facebook album or three would be a better solution than filling up valuable internet space or creating Snapchat stories over 300 seconds long?

It’s understandable that people view YA bloggers as boastful, egotistical knob-heads, who like to lord it over others, because we speak one or two more languages than the average person.

The fact is that we’re just like puppies that have just found a new slipper to chew and play with, super keen to share this strange new experience with others. It’s annoying but also quite adorable.

You’ve got to back yourself in the blogging business, it’s a hard job keeping it fresh and there’s lots of competition. Just please don’t judge us all by our grammatical shortcomings or poor choice of title.