Euan Coulthard’s Mum wants the street angels back

Bosses have cancelled the scheme

Euan Coulthard’s mum publicly signed a petition to save the Durham Street Angels.

The online petition has reached a university defying 1200 signatures in favour of restoring the crucial night-time safety group – including Hester Coulthard’s.

Euan Coulthard disappeared after a night out

Mrs Coulthard said: “My beloved son Euan drowned after a night out in Durham. I would not like this to happen to anyone else.

“Our family is devastated and Euan has lost his life. I would like to see the Street Angels back.”

The student based safety group was set up after three students died in the River Wear in three months.

University bosses, however, chose to scrap the life-saving group in a baffling decision earlier this month.

Heroic Street Angels

The uni bureaucrats mumbled  “it was considered that student night-time volunteer patrols would be more effective as part of an established community group.”

They further grovelled that they are working alongside the City Safety Group and “have introduced a number of measures to address and enhance student safety” which includes a taxi service and an alcohol awareness campaign.

Terry Collins, chair of the City Safety Group distanced himself from the unpopular decision, arguing that the decision to stop the project was a matter for the university but the City Safety Group were determined to continue their efforts to keep people safe.