Keeping the Old Tradition

Keeping the Old Tradition

Keeping the Old Tradition klute

On a brisk January morning, my fellow Klute enthusiast Jonny and I went where no man had been before. No not that all elusive G-Spot – but the new and controversial Klute. Having been in support of the new Klute (facebook would have you believe I was in more of a minority than Kerry Katona’s fan base) I met the new manager Andrew Golding and heard what he had to say about the new re-branding.

Tell me about the new Klute.

A.G: "I never said I wasn’t keeping the student heritage, not going to stop serving quaddies, not going to stop the ‘cheese’. We are keeping the old tradition but trying new things in order to provide better value for your money."

Golding went on to explain how he still intended the old Klute to be at the forefront of new proceedings yet with some new innovative ideas. Sort of like the re-launch of Gladiators on Sky One.

Instead of a run of monotonous college nights – quite frankly who wants to be confronted with a selection of people you've got week in week out – new, original nights have been proposed.

Sunday is the proposed 'Holy House – midnight mass', an event which promises the best DJs in the region with a selection of commercial dance as well as house classics.

We were assured its not going to be heavy duty, so don’t worry you socially challenged third year physicist Klute is not suddenly going to turn into some underground mkat ridden super-club!

Tuesdays are planned to be ‘classic Klute’, a return to the cheese and even quaddies will make a much heralded return. Wednesdays will resemble something of a value night with £1 vodka mixers and bottles.

The club itself has also had a revamp, now open on three floors with different music per floor and even a smoking area outside so you can find protection from the elements.

What do you have to say to those who have criticised the changes made to Klute?

A.G: "Basically people need to realise that I’m not trying to take Klute away from students, it’s still the same old Klute".

Golding was shocked at some of the abuse directed at him and his staff by those on social networking sites (in particular the student who made public private details of employees working for the re-branding, quite frankly you’re an embarassment to call a fellow student may you hang your head, you socially inept tool).

He simply wanted the opportunity to explain to those criticising the new branding program why it was occuring and how he thought it would improve nightlife within Durham.

Staff have been re-trained whilst all three floors have been refurbished and re-painted. Previously I would have rather faced the troll in the Hogwarts toilets than the dangers lurking in Klute, whilst now they have been improved to such a level they look no different from those you would find in your local Revs.

Perhaps what most impressed me however was the high level of investment which had been spent on a large number of new televisions. Yes the old memorabilia boards have gone but in their place has been replaced with a huge interactive screen with old pictures as well as snapshots of the old boards.

What has brought about these changes, dear reader, is you. Which I think is the biggest factor you grumblers seem to have failed to understand. The reason Klute has changed as a few intelligent posters have noted on the group is because it simply wasn’t making enough money.

Having spoken to Golding today, he mused upon the fact that the only nights which were previously making money were Thursday and Sunday, not a recipe for success. After all Klute is a business not just a place where you can go to have a drunken grope to One Direction.
The new management have thought long and hard how to combine what was good about the old Klute whilst mixing in some new common sense ideas (such as the opening of two entrances drinks combos with Loveshack, free bottles of spirits for VIPs on their birthday).

Decking is also being proposed over the river by the old back exit whilst food will be served, just in time for Valentines.

Golding was keen to stress how much the new management have done for societies in Durham arguing, "you would be hard-pressed to find a single society in Durham we haven’t sponsored from every measure of sports clubs to Harry Potter Society".

"We’re all in this together" as that wise man Zac Efron once mused, bad taste comments on facebook and a boycott won’t achieve anything.

Re-launching on January 15th, it will be free entry before 11pm and only £2 to enter afterwards.

Drinks prices:

£6/7 – Bottles of Wine

£4 – Quaddies

£3.50 – Any Trebles

£2.50 – Any Double