Susanna Reid awarded Honorary Fellowship

But what was she wearing?

Telly famous Susanna Reid has been given an Honorary Fellowship for her exemplary contribution to broadcasting.

The 44-year-old donned her cap and gown while mingling with lowly hoi polloi undergraduates, during the ceremony at St David’s Hall.

Naughty

Speaking to WalesOnline, Reid said: “What Cardiff taught me, other than practical journalism skills, was that it was a place where I could make mistakes. A safe place for me to make those mistakes and learn from them.”

A smile and a wink gets you further than you think

The broadcaster studied Politics, Philosophy and Law at the University of Bristol before completing a postgrad in Broadcast Journalism at Cardiff.

She then went on to become a producer and reporter for BBC Radio 5 Live, before joining the BBC Breakfast sofa in 2003.

Broadcast this

But the now Cardiff fellow didn’t stop there.

Reid has since reached the heady heights of Strictly Come Dancing and also moved to ITV, co-presenting hard news show Good Morning Britain, where she recently sparked a Twitter meltdown after sucking Angel Delight on her finger.

Director of the Centre for Journalism at Cardiff University, Professor Richard Sambrook said: “Susanna is a rare example of someone who successfully combines serious journalism such as reporting from war zones and interviewing prime ministers, with the celebrity elements of TV.

“In doing so she engages a wide range of viewers in the best traditions of popular journalism. We’re proud to see a Cardiff Journalism graduate achieve such success.”

Other recipients of the prestigious accolade include Welsh international rugby player Sam Warburton and award-winning novelist Philippa Gregory.