LIVEBLOG: University Challenge Final

It’s Cambridge Wolfson vs Balliol Oxford for the most prestigious varsity of them all

balliol Cambridge Goldman monkman monkmania Oxford Uni Challenge Wolfson

Welcome to the University Challenge Final Liveblog. Scroll down for minute by minute coverage of the title match we’ve all been waiting for.

Broadcast starts at 8pm on BBC2. Catch all the action below.

Result

WOLFSON 140 – 190 BALLIOL

Liveblog

20:29

The greatest insult of all, watching Goldman’s smug face as he receives the trophy on our turf. Stephen Hawking also there for some reason. This isn’t what we wanted, this isn’t what anyone wanted. Sometimes the bad guys win… but all streaks have to end. It’s goodbye from the Tab Cambridge.

20:27

FINAL SCORE: 140-190 to Balliol… I haven’t felt this bad ever.

20:26 

It looks impossible now, as Monkman chances it, without the pay off. Balliol can time waste till the gong goes.

20:24

With 3 minutes to go the gap is 50 points, can our boys pull it back. Monkman is doing his best.

20:23

Monkman does it again, winning another starter for ten. Honestly, can we get this guy a plaque?

20:22

Picture round – reinterpreted paintings. This is seems near impossible, yet Balliol perform well, and take the lead.

20:19

Wolfson need to brush up on their 1A Earth Sciences, MOHO was easy.

20:16

110-80 to Wolfson (and by extension Cambridge). Bring it home boys.

20:14

Chaudri intervenes yet again, nabbing a starter for ten and demolishing the follow up questions. Perhaps branding this Monkman vs Balliol was unfair…

20:13

Balliol take the lead. I think Paxman’s withering put down might have affected Monkman.

20:11

Paxman savaging our hero, describing his early buzz as “useless”. Here I was thinking he was one of us… Let’s see what he has to say to the Cambridge Firm

20:09

Balliol sneak a starter for ten, but are seriously fluffing their lines now. Goldman looks shaky..

20:07

PICTURE ROUND. European country boundaries following historic treaties, and quelle surprise, it’s Monkman again.

20:06

Monkman just doesn’t stop, nabbing another one for Wolfson, he looks in fine form.

20:05

Wow, someone who isn’t Monkman got a starter for 10, with Chaudri getting one for Wolfson. 1B Physicists represent.

20:04

“THE MAGIC FLUTE” and Monkman’s off the line. Now for some reptile questions.

20:03

First starter for 10 goes to Balliol, Goldman already looks smug as ever.

20:02

What the hell is Balliol’s Potts wearing? Honestly, you’d think Pembroke might have something to say about that top.

20:01

“HELLO MY NAME IS ERIK MONKMAN” you just love to hear it.

20:00

The anticipation is killing me, on comes Paxman’s smug face. Our man looks relaxed, displaying his typical toothy grin.

19:57

We’re still sad that the final couldn’t have been the SeaMonk showdown we were all hoping for, good to see they’re mates though.

19:45

With just 15 minutes left till kickoff, there’s just enough time to catch some of the juiciest memes on offer… and damn, they’re spicy.