Girton Spring Ball cancelled “in light of recent events”

Organisers confirmed Friday’s event has been called off following the death of a Girton Student on Sunday evening

Girton Ball

The 2016 Girton Spring Ball has been cancelled in the week leading up to the event after a student of the college died last weekend.

A 19-year-old male, who we have decided not to name out of respect to the family, passed away at Addenbrooke’s Hospital on Sunday evening after being found with head injuries on Saturday night.

The Spring Ball was due to take place this coming Friday evening, March 11th, but has now been called off.

The committee confirmed the ball would not take place on Tuesday afternoon

A statement on the event’s Facebook page read: “In light of recent events, we regret to inform you that Girton Spring Ball 2016 has been cancelled. More information to follow.”

A University spokesperson said on behalf of the College: “As a consequence of a fatal accident in the College at the weekend and out of respect for the privacy of the family of the student involved, College Council has decided with deep sadness that it is not possible to proceed with the Spring Ball which was planned for Friday 11 March.”

In an email to students, Girton’s JCR President-elect said: “To the students who gathered the other night in chapel for Evensong, to the choir who sang under the most difficult circumstances, and all those who stayed into the JCR and Emily Davies Room late into the night comforting one another, you are all a credit to the Girton community … I want to also use this opportunity to thank the Ball Committee for their utterly incredible work over the past 16 months.”

The Spring Ball committee has not yet announced arrangement for the refund of tickets. Senior Tutor Sandra Fulton said: “Details of practicalities associated with the cancellation will follow.”