Parker’s Piece, aka The Home of Football: FA honours Cantabs for devising original FA rules

“The Cambridge Rules appear to be the most desirable for the Association to adopt” – so said the founder of the FA Cup, Charles W. Alcock

2016 marks 160 years since former Cambridge students signed a document which described the ‘Cambridge Rules of Football for the University of Cambridge Football Club’.

Having then been adopted by the Football Association in 1863, much of the Cambridge Rules’ impact is felt on the modern game today.

The University of Cambridge’s contribution to the official FA rules is to be honoured with the installation of a sculpture this autumn.

You will now no doubt look at Parker’s Piece in a different light

The Cambridge Rules were drawn up so that students who had played different versions of public school football could play together. Parker’s Piece – the Club’s home patch – was where the Rules were given their first outing.

A decade ago, the Vice-Chairman of the FA presented a fine scroll to the then President in order to mark the 150th anniversary.

A collection of memories and tales from the past will be collated for a public archive, which is set to be unveiled sometime next year.