#whereisgiulio: Cambridge student last seen on anniversary of Arab Spring goes missing in Cairo

Giulio Regeni, a 28-year-old PhD student in politics from Girton, has vanished whilst conducting fieldwork in Cairo.

appeal Cairo egypt girton missing Student Vanished whereisgiulio

Giulio was last seen at 8.00pm in the centre of Cairo on the 25th of January, where demonstrations were being held to celebrate the Egyptian Revolution of 2011.

Regeni, from Italy, had been in Egypt since September in order to conduct research for his PhD. As part of his studies in Cambridge, he was learning Arabic and the Egyptian economy. He has been missing now for over a week.

When contacted by the Tab, a Cambridge University spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Giulio. We are waiting to receive further information from the Italian authorities.”

Giulio, a 28-year-old student at Girton.

Italian authorities issued the following statement: “The Italian embassy in Cairo and the foreign ministry are closely following with great concern the fate of Giulio Regeni, a 28-year-old student who has mysteriously disappeared on the evening of 25 January in the centre of the Egyptian capital.

A photo shared on Twitter.

“Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni recently had a telephone conversation with his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry, to whom he asked to do his utmost to trace the Italian student and provide any possible information on his condition.

“The Embassy in Cairo immediately activated direct communication channels from the very first hours after his disappearance and coordinated activities with all the relevant Egyptian Authorities.

Giulio’s profile on Facebook.

Campaigns have been launched to find the missing student, with a friend contacting The Tab to ask that the hashtag #whereisguilio be spread.

#whereisgiulio  جوليو_فين#