The Week Ahead: Trojan Barbie, Alice and Toddla T

Ever wonder what cultural events are going on in Cambridge? Look no further, as we highlight Cambridge’s hottest venues

ADC ADC drama Arts Cambridge College Corpus culture Jailbreak RAG Theatre thesp

With the myriad of cultural opportunities here at Cambridge, it’s often hard to know what to go to.

Of course you say to yourself, “I really ought to go to an ADC show before I leave” or “that art exhibition could be really interesting but.. nah I’ll nap”. Fear not, we have found a solution. Each week we’ll outline what we deem to be key events that are going on in this wonderful city.

ADC Theatre

Trojan Barbie

Tue 26 – Sat 30 January 2016 at 7.45pm

When a city falls, its people must bare the wreckage. A live news crew will film its destruction but not the aftermath. It does not capture a mother looking for her lost boys, a fallen woman trying to keep up appearances, a young girl’s duty to pay off a bargain she’d never been participant to. Where do those who were left alive go? What happens to them?

£12

Alice

Wed 27 – Sat 30 January 2016 at 11.00pm

Alice is an exciting devised exploration of Lewis Carroll’s influential story told through the magical medium of circus. Be transported through a surreal world and encounter a wheel artist rolling by, late for an important date, two strange twins balancing impossibly, and a dormouse falling down a Chinese pole, fast asleep, into a teacup. A caterpillar emerges cocooned in aerial silks, and a tea party takes an unexpected turn. Prepare to be mesmerised by the acrobatic ability, the linguistic beauty, and the artistic excellence that is Alice.

£6

Corpus Playhouse

Corpus Smoker

Monday 25th January 9:30

Come along and see comedy performed by Cambridge comedians in one of the city’s most intimate and unusually-shaped venues.

£8

Debate and Discussion

This House Fears the Large Scale Collection of Personal Data

Thursday, January 28, 2016 – 19:30 – The Union

The debate about government surveillance of its own citizens has been raging for many years. However, with the hegemony of the internet, corporations are now also using this enormous pool of data to their own advantage. The Union asks whether this is a sinister development, or something to be welcomed.

Art: The Fitzwilliam Museum

Cradled in Caricature: Visual humour in satirical prints and drawings

This exhibition highlights the various methods and tools used by British artists from James Gillray to Glen Baxter for sheer entertainment, covering all sorts of bases from the exaggeration of facial features and burlesque comedy, to more intricate word-play and ironic literary allusions. Usually artists purely had laughter as their sole aim, but in some cases humour is fused with satire to communicate a more serious message on the dangers of excess. Works featured in the show are from the Fitzwilliam’s collection with key loans from Andrew Edmunds and Benjamin Lemer.

Tue 13 October 2015 to Sun 31 January 2016

Charrington Print Room (16)

Free

In the evening

Fresh Tuesdays Yeezy Party

Tuesday 26th January 22:00

YEEZY YEEZY YEEZY YEEZY! Nothing but the esteemed Mr. Kanye West. All Night. Free giveaways and entry for guest list.

Standard Fez entry

Turf w/Jay Daniel

Thursday 28th February 22:00

Detroit legend Jay Daniel hits Fez on Thursday 28th. He is undoubtedly one of the most unique and visionary DJs currently playing music anywhere in the world. Jay likes to spend his time hanging out in the D, producing our favourite records and sharing the turntables with Theo Parrish, Moodymann, Rick Wilhite and Marcellus Pittman as part of Three Chairs. To be perfectly honest, it’s going to be quite the occasion. 

£7.50

Toddla T Takeover at Junction

Saturday 30th January

In what has been touted as Junction’s best ever musical lineup, Toddla T brings along the likes of Stylo G, Melé, Coco and special guest, the one and only CHARLIE SLOTH for what will undoubtedly be a mad night. Lllllleeett’s get rrreadddy to rrruuumblee!

£18

No Ellesse, no entry

Other things not to miss

Jailbreak 2016

Friday the 29th of January, 9:00 – 21:00, Parker’s Piece

At 0900 hours on January the 29th, the Jailbreakers will be released from their “prison” at Parker’s Piece. They have no money. They have 36 hours. How far will they go? In aid of RAG and their chosen charities, this annual event is always one to attend.

Looks like a great week ahead. Other than work that is. But, hey, there’s no such thing as speaking too soon, is there?