Formal Review – Corpus Christi

LOUISE McCARTHY and ANNA REYNOLDS venture past that ticking clock, for culinary delights in Corpus.

belly birthday brownie Corpus food Formal mushrooms Pork review soup

With apologies to our adoring fans (especially our fab college mum) for the tardiness following a ticket fiasco, we present a formal at Corpus Christi, that was well worth the wait…

Starter: Seeing that the fellows were being served different food made us worry that we undergrads were going to be served a sub-standard meal in comparison. However, our fears were unfounded and the “mushroom soup with mushrooms on toast” was not quite as mushroom-y as the name might have suggested. Instead we were served a broth that was delicately presented and tasted particularly scrumptious! We would have been more than happy to be served that in a posh restaurant.

And to think they were planning on eating here…

Main Course: We were wary initially: our only another experience of pork belly at a formal had been at the infamous Christ’s formal and it had left us somewhat scarred. Fortunately, Corpus was waiting to restore our faith. Even more excitingly, Corpus had the revelatory idea of serving the whole meal of pork belly, red onion jus, crushed new potatoes and roast carrots, on the same plate, with the joyful result that all of our food was not only served at the same time, but it was all hot when we came to eat it. As Goldilocks would say to the three bears, it was just right.

One piggy went to market. The other had roast beef. This one went to corpus formal.

Desert: The best course of the whole meal: chocolate brownie with caramel ice cream. The brownie was everything a brownie should be, rich and sticky inside, while the caramel ice cream was a perfect antidote to the chocolatey richness.

Highlight: It was someone’s birthday formal and their speech, once the fellows had left, was possibly our best formal-moment of the whole year. He was particularly enthusiastic and, after a loud chorus of ‘Happy Birthday’, took great delight in declaiming to the whole hall, even going as far as to enthusiastically thank the catering staff for all of their hard work. Happy Birthday to that one enthusiastic individual, and we hope you had a good night!

Wishing they’d applied to Corpus?

Lowlight: That there was nothing to bitch about! Unusually, we can’t find a single thing to fault. We were getting desperate enough that we wanted to criticise the colour scheme of the ceiling (a highly unattractive clashing colour combination), but we were reminded that that would probably make us unbearably privileged twats.

Price: £11.15 for a guest ticket, no corkage on wine.

Forget their adoration for a strange beetle shaped clock, Corpus delivered a stunning formal with quite frankly beautiful food!