Revealed: Who does the most drugs?

,        

The Tab set out to discover which students are spending their time lighting up rather than knuckling down. Here are the results.

The results of The Tab’s drug survey are in.

70% of students have tried drugs at least once in their lives.

That figure rises as high as 85% in our druggiest uni, the eternally edgy Leeds.

The historic Manchester-Liverpool rivalry is played out in our survey, as the Mancunians pip the Scousers to second place.

Bottom of the pile are the boffins in Cambridge. Obviously they’re too busy studying to get high, with 57% of students there having tried drugs.

And it looks as if ‘Dullham‘ is living up to its dubious reputation, coming second last in our alternative uni league table.

druggiest unis

But while Leeds might score highly overall, students in Edinburgh are clearly wiggin’ out on hallucinogens as they snatch top spot for the number of respondents taking LSD and mushrooms.

Students in Liverpool are on the grittier side of things, having it large on the coke and drone.

Down south appears to be a cleaner affair. Maybe they’re all just drunk?

map2

Hearteningly, it looks as if addiction is yet to set in with the majority of students, as only 4% said they needed drugs to have a good night out.

But that could be because we’re already bored of them. The average age at which respondents first tried drugs in some form stands at a pubescent 16 years and 2 months.

The Tab’s drug survey took in 21 universities around the UK. Over 5,000 students responded and, to be honest, the results confirm what most of us suspect anyway.

Philosophy students come top of the subject table, contemplating the big questions in a haze of self-discovery. As Bob Marley once said: “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.” Quite.

Medics are bottom of the pile, abiding by the Hippocratic Oath to refuse the ‘deadly medicine’. (Well, we say that – more than half of them have still tried something illegal.)

druggiest subjects

Unsurprisingly, cannabis comes out top in the list of preferred poisons. 68% of students have tried it.

But the 60s are long behind us as the trippy LSD is bottom of the student drug-takers shopping list.

top drugs

Some of the ‘Other’ drugs you named make for interesting reading. One Cambridge PhD student said he’d tried ‘cat’s pee’, while another went for ‘penis juice’. One student said simply: “Some of the new ones with long names.” It can be difficult to keep up.

Several smart-asses suggested alcohol, nicotine and caffeine as ‘Other’ drugs. Sorry guys, they’re a little extreme for this survey.

Obviously we all know how much druggies loves talking about drugs, so you can take these results with a pinch of… salt.

The Tab surveyed 5,126 students at 21 UK universities in the second term of the 2012/13 academic year. Stay tuned all this week for more results from our ‘study’.

@TheTab
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’