Jello, Goodbye

Wyverns cave to pressure from online petition and CANCEL the Jelly Wrestling tournament at this year's Wyverns Garden Party.

The Jelly Wrestling tournament at this year’s Wyverns Garden Party has officially been cancelled, The Tab understands.

The tournament is the pinnacle of Suicide Sunday’s most popular Garden Party, which sees female students in bikinis wrestle in a paddling pool full of jelly for a cash prize.

jwrestle

Jel no more: crowds watch as two girls battle it out in 2009

The news comes shortly after an online petition against the event, proposed by Magdalene student Nina de Paula Hanika, reached 1000 signatures.

In the petition, the Magdalene student argues that the competition “cements and prolongs the idea that women are lesser, that they are only good for their bodies, and that in order to contribute socially they must be sexualised objects.”

The petition adds that the tradition is “sexist, misogynistic and completely inappropriate as entertainment for 2013.”

The news broke via Hanika’s Facebook page, whilst the CUSU Women’s Campaign celebrated with the following status:

womenscamp1

The Wyverns president, speaking The Tab this morning, released this statement:

“The Wyverns regret to announce that this year they will be unable to hold the annual Jelly Wrestling tournament at WGP13.

“Having never received formal complaints in the past, we were reluctant to take immediate action on the recent petition. However, the anti-jelly vitriol with which the campaign was conducted forced us to take the threats that we received seriously.

“We are keen to maintain our reputation as the biggest, loosest, naughtiest, silliest party that Cambridge has to offer. See you all on Suicide Sunday!”

@will_pithers
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’